is Comodo Firewall 3 enough protection?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by _ab, Oct 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _ab

_ab Registered Member

Hi, i had a terrible lock up here with CFP 3 beta & SSM. There was absolutely no way to solve this, i searched for hours. I couldn´t uninstall anything, as i couldn´t start most of the programs either, there was always "xyz.exe is not a valid win32 application". Also there was no way to find out, which of the two was causing that problem, i deactivated everything in sight, but still then i couldn´t even open apps like regedit, it was a mess. I had to restore some older image & had a lot of work because of this. When installing something, it was too much klicking through that two applications in order to allow all that hundreds of requests, anyway.

I think SSM is a very good program, maybe much better than the new Comodo, but two HIPS seem always to cause such annoyances. What do you think, is it enough to use CFP3, BoClean & AVG? Or is it better to replace the HIPS portion of Comodos with SSM? CFP3 looks quite promising & seems to have all the the important features.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  2. CoolWebSearch

CoolWebSearch Registered Member

You can't have CFP 3.0 and SSM on the same computer since CFP has HIPS,too-I honestly don't think this could work since you put 2 HIPS on the same computer!
    I hnestly don't know how to get read of them both.
    If Safe Mode doesn't work,try than re-install the whole Windows system-I honestly don't know th other way.
    Maybe Stem will know this,he is firewall expert.

3. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

Hi

Anytime I've tried to run SSM with another HIPS type program, trouble eventually ensued.

With some there seemed no initial conflict but in the end the inevitable happened.

Not just SSM by the way but it seemed any two together.

Stick with one. SSM is very powerful but my choice is OA with all it's added features and 'mom-friendly' approach. You can make it as easy or as difficult as you wish ;)

4. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Maybe you don't even need any ? your computer might work better without ?
    or perhaps you have some evidence that either of these programs have protected your pc ? I only question because I have never found a HIPS program that has actually stopped anything so far.

5. _ab

_ab Registered Member

Yeah? Can you tell me some example, when HIPS failed? I think this is the smartest approach against threats, much better than anti virus.

6. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I was simply asking if having run any hips programs for a reasonable period of time of you had ever seen it work. I know they are quite fashionable now and am simply curious to hear if anyone has ever seen any real benefit. The ones that I have used just sat there for months on end apparently doing nothing.
    my guess is that they did nothing because in my case there was nothing to do ?
    others may have had different experiences.

agree with you re anti-virus. haven't used one for a long time.

7. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Personally I have yet to see a hips program that doesn't have some type of an effect on my computer.
    Whether it be longer startup and shut down times, slower web browsing or some degree of speed loss.
    Not worth it to me.
    I am a fairly safe surfer so I have never seen one work but how often have you seen your av or firewall work? Very rarely I'm sure.
    And that's the way I like it!:D

8. ChicknDip

ChicknDip Registered Member

If you are a registered user of SSM, I would give the best hint you will ever get : Please get rid of that overhyped Comodo 'thing' for once and for all....

9. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hello,
    I have put forward before about the problems with installing more than one HIPS.

Comodo as always been, even in version 2.4, unforgiving if other security software is installed (main direct problems at the time, was with comodo and process guard). Comodo did not at the time feel any need to change their own software to prevent such problems, as comodo put forward that there would be no need for 3rd party HIPS with version3 ( such as SSM have much better attitude to such problems, and I know, have spent much time in attempts to make their own software as friendly as possible on this point as possible).

Simply: Do not install 2 HIPS.
    If you like SSM, then use this with another firewall (Personally, I would prefer to use SSM with XP firewall than the combination of comodo+anything, or even comodo alone)

10. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Thanks Stem!
    I tried Comodo several times in the past and did have some problems. When I uninstalled it everything was always fine.
    Now I know why. :D

11. xandros

xandros Registered Member

yes its good firewall but u will need antivirus with it
    u can use comodo firewall with any antivirus u like

12. _ab

_ab Registered Member

Well, basically i think Comodo has a quite good firewall, but maybe i will turn off the HIPS portion of it, which i think is here
    http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/4207/cfp3iu8.png

The drawback of the windows firewall is, that it doesn´t provide any outbound control. So far, i think that CFP is a leading firewall, having nice features like ARP protection & very good anti leak protection. So that´s what i´m gonna try next, reinstall SSM, about which i had very good experiences & kick the HIPS in CFP.

I think the CFP registry protection had locked me out somehow. thx.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.