Is CIS enough?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Archs, Dec 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Archs

Archs Registered Member

Is running the free version of Comodo Internet Security enough protection? Is there any other free protection that I should add?

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

With CIS you don't really need anything else apart from decent URL blocking service. You can use either Norton DNS or you can also use Panda URL Filter component that you can extract from the Panda Cloud Toolbar. This is really the only part where Comodo is very poor as their DNS does pretty much nothing.

3. siketa

siketa Registered Member

The best solution for web protection is K9.
    Since CIS has a problem with trusted malware, I would still recommend you to have an anti-executable software in case you are not running CIS in paranoid mode.

4. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Besides the web filter decision you may also want to consider some sort of backup strategy just in case something gets through. There are plenty of quality imaging programs around or if you are running one of the later MS operating systems you probably have one built in. The 3rd party software, though, usually has a few more bells and whistles which may or may not be to your liking.

5. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Allow me to ask,since i 've lost that episode. What problem exists with CIS and trusted software? (i suppose malware is a typo, why would one have trusted malware :D ).

Yeah, it's more than enough, as long as you understand what's happening in there.

6. Archs

Archs Registered Member

I currently use OpenDNS for my DNS provider. Do you know if that compares well to Norton DNS in terms of URL blocking?
    I never heard of anti-executable protection. Does Comodo offer one or are there any third-party options?

7. Fuzzfas

D+ has anti-executable function too. Online Armor and Outpost have too. NoVirusThanks Exe radar is also a "pure" anti-executable.

From what i understand, Siketa refers to some bug in Comodo related to trusted software, but i haven't followed that part.

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

OpenDNS doesn't really block anything. At least i've never seen it ever to block anything. Norton DNS did block a lot of stuff in my own tests and also in many Youtube videos. Panda URL Filter was also pretty good.

9. siketa

siketa Registered Member

1) OpenDNS blocks only phishing pages. It does not have an anti-malware protection like SendoriDNS, K9 Web Protection, NortonDNS, Panda URL Filter.

2) Comodo Cloud has a weakness. Sometimes it gives a verdict that malware file is safe. So, it can be run/executed with no popup. They have a topic in Comodo forum where you can submit such files. If you put CIS in paranoid mode you will get an execution popup but also be prepared to be bombarded with lots of other questions.
    3rd party products like NVT ERP, Faronics AE, VoodooShield or even AppGuard can cover this.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  10. spywar

spywar Registered Member

Personally, I only use CIS + Norton DNS yes I can agree, sometimes, Comodo cloud has little issue (unknown instead of trusted, trusted instead of malware which is then a trusted malware..) They really should improve the backend.

11. Fuzzfas

Ah, i see. I didn't know that since i always disable the cloud. I guess it has its positive sides too then. If you disable the cloud, you can have it to "Clean PC" mode, later on raise it to safe mode and you avoid paranoid mode. Of course you don't have the cloud as "counselor", but you can't have it all, can you...

12. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

I run only CIS with default settings & free ondemand MBAM & HitmanPro & my ISPs DNS.

13. guest

guest Guest

Yes, but you may want to add trusteer rapport and or set CIS with proactive settings

14. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Indeed, the right - the only - way to use an HIPS, CIS too, is to set it at the highest security level.

15. DrBenGolfing

DrBenGolfing Registered Member

Anybody seen any reviews of Comodo's virtual kiosk doing it's thing?

16. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

I have tried out quite a lot of malware in the Kiosk and it can always delete no problem post beta. :) I can even have Comodo set to block malware instead of quarantine and it can still delete the sandbox. I'm quite happy with it.

17. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

According to this page (-http://wiki.cloudantivirus.com/index.php/Installing_Panda_Cloud_Antivirus), Panda Security Toolbar, which I suppose is what you call of Panda Cloud Toolbar (o_O), only works with Firefox and Internet Explorer. (It's also available as a standalone installer: -http://www.pandasecurity.com/toolbar/PandaSecurityToolbar.exe)

Can anyone confirm that it only works with both Firefox and IE? I wonder when they will support other browsers...

18. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Panda URL filter is all you need. When you install panda free it will install PCAV, tool bar and URL filter. Just uninstall everything except the URL filter. I think actually they even give you an option now to just install the URL filter.

19. siketa

siketa Registered Member

It is easier to just install this one...
    http://software.visicommedia.com/en/products/antiphishing/
    :D

20. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Wiseguy! :p I didn't even know that was available. Yes that would be much easier than my original way. ;)

21. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

He's just a better phisherman than you are!:D

22. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

If you unpack the Toolbar installer you can extract only the URL Filter exe only.
    And i think URL filter checks all the links regardless of the browser since it doesn't install itself as a regular browser addon but it just installs itself.

23. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Doesnt seem to be a firm conclusion here.So is the new CIS adequate protection on its own.?:D

24. DBone

DBone Registered Member

Yes!, and no...........Maybe

25. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

LOL thanks..that sort of helps.:D :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.