Is CCleaner being straight up with us?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Capricornia, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Capricornia

Capricornia Registered Member

Hi, I'm new to the forum and I noticed in the latest version of CCleaner, v5.41.6446 (64 bit), they now show the little image of the spy in sunglasses and it says "Privacy" underneath that and shows how many tracking files were removed. Well, the only problem with that is that I always go on the web with Sandboxie, and from what I understand, when you delete their sandbox, everything(e.g. cookies, tracking files, malware, viruses, etc.) gets deleted. Therefore, I don't understand how you can then use CCleaner and see all these tracking files listed.

Also, from what I understand, the Wilders Security Forums aren't suppose to be using tracking files, however, earlier this morning, I came to this forum sandboxed, deleted the sandbox and then ran CCleaner and then I took a screen shot of the results and got this:

Well, I was going to show an image, but after wasting a half an hour in trying to read the instruction threads on how to post an image, I didn't see "Additional Options" or "Manage Attachments" for my post. And also nowhere did I see that new members couldn't post images until after a specified amount of time.

Oh, well. But anyway, I was going to show a screen shot where CCleaner said that it cleaned 17 tracking files after only being on a page at Wilders Security Forums and after I deleted that page with Sandboxie. Also, any help with this would be appreciated.

2. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

It would be easier if we see which files were deleted. Could you please list them?

Sandbooxie should delete most of traces left by online session. There are still traces left on OS level (like DNS cache) that are not deleted. For those you can use CCleaner and similar tools.

EDIT: also CCleaner doesn't know which files are there to track you and if specific website is really tracking you. They list those that can be used for tracking even if they are not (cookies and similar).

3. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Hi Capricornia. Regarding using browsers under Sandboxie, in the case of Firefox (my browser), if you don't allow anything out of the sandbox in Sandbox settings>Applications>Web browser, nothing gets out. The only time CCleaner finds something for Firefox is when I run it outside the sandbox to update it or to update addons. I am always looking at Firefox when I run CCleaner and never happens. Firefox Cookies is something I cant remember ever being detected by CCleaner. That has never happened, not even because of the short period of times when I run the browser outside the sandbox. Now, you must realize when you allow acces to something related to the browser in Sandbox settings, that something could be detected by CCleaner.

For example in Firefox, if you allow access to bookmarks (which is something everyone should, I think, otherwise it would be inconvenient), history also gets out. This is because history and bookmarks are saved by Firefox in the same file (places.sqlite). Firefox history can be detected by CCleaner even if you run your Firefox sandboxed. But there is something we can do to get rid of history and still save bookmarks . What I do is set Firefox in Firefox Options to Never remember history, that deletes history and you still save bookmarks. So, CCleaner wont detect history as there wont be anything to detect. I do it using custom settings for history but in the end works out he same.

In the case of IE, even if you dont run IE at all, CCleaner after a few days, will detect something, thats normal. I know years ago, the system, and some programs you installed also used IE. Those runs by IE were/are not sandboxed, I guess IE might still be used by some programs.

I dont use Chrome or anything but Firefox but other browsers the experience should be similar than the one I have with Firefox.

But anyway, don't assume that just because you are running your browser sandboxed, Windows is not recording some of the things you do sandboxed with the browser/other programs. Check this link.

https://www.sandboxie.com/PrivacyConcerns

Bo

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  4. bo elam

Capricornia, perhaps you could upload the picture somewhere like imgur.com. And post the link to the picture here. About this site, is as clean as it gets. Only wilderssecurity.com runs here. Nothing else. I seen other forums sort of similar to this one and they run all kind of stuff, trackers, ads, all kind of unnecessary garbage

Bo

5. Capricornia

Are you talking about the ones that are listed when you click on "Analyze"? Well, if so, unfortunately, I didn't think to click on "Analyze" when I ran the cleaner.

Okay, thanks. So what other tools? And which is better?

Okay, thanks.

6. Capricornia

Well, I'll be honest and admit that I don't know what you mean by not allowing "anything out of the sandbox." Also, I went to Sandbox settings>Applications>Web browser, but I didn't see "nothing gets out."

I'm sorry, but I'm confused. Because you said that the only time CCleaner finds something for Firefox is when you run it outside the sandbox. However, you also said Firefox Cookies is something you cant remember ever being detected by CCleaner. So then are you saying that even though CCleaner can find something for Firefox when you run it outside the sandbox, CCleaner still hasn't found any cookies for Firefox?

Well, I probably won't have to worry about that because I never use bookmarks in other browsers besides IE because in my opinion, IE has the only browser that's user-friendly where you don't have to jump through hoops to use it. But that's just me.

Yeah, I noticed that some sort of IE traces always seem to be in the mix after running CCleaner, and whether you opened IE or not.

So I've already heard that nothing that you do on the internet is really private.

7. bo elam

Not allowing anything out of the sandbox means your sandbox is locked down, Firefox is not allowed to write outside the sandbox. Thats the result when you dont put a check mark on any exclusion in Sandbox settings>Applications>Web browser (other than the one to Force Firefox to run in this sandbox). If you check mark anything else, then you are allowing Firefox to modify, make changes to Firefox files in AppData folder. If you do, CCleaner should detect Firefox files when you run CCleaner. If you dont check mark anything, Cleaner wont detect files related to Firefox.

Note: For what I wrote above to be true, you must delete your sandbox. If you dont delete contents of the sandbox, when you run CCleaner, CCleaner will detect Firefox files inside C:\Sandbox. So, you need to delete the sandbox. You sound new to Sandboxie, perhaps that's what happened the other day when you posted here. If you don't delete contents, CCleaner is supposed to find those files.

Something else, in the picture below, you can see my Sandbox settings for Firefox. There you see I Allow Direct access to Firefox bookmarks and history database. That setting as it comes allows Firefox to modify history out of the sandbox. So if you dont do nothing about it, CCleaner should detect Firefox history.

I dont want my Firefox history to get out but I want to save bookmarks. So what do I do? I set Firefox to Never remember history in Firefox Options. That allows me to save bookmarks outside the sandbox and delete history. The reason we have to do this is because Firefox saves bookmarks and history in the same file (places.sqlite).

Sin título.jpg

Basically what I was saying is that if you run Firefox sanboxed 100% of the time, and dont allow any exclusion in Sandbox settings, when you run CCleaner, nothing will get detected from Firefox. Test it, do it for a week. But remember, 100% of the time. If you run Firefox only once outside the sandbox, CCleaner will detect Firefox files. And remember to delete contents immediately after closing the browser or at least, before running CCleaner.

Bo

8. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

ccleaner? Firefox? chrome? browsers at all? Never!
    Ccleaner is a stupid program!
    firefox and chrome know best what to delete after work and while closing - take your options, dont let ccleaner do a very dirty job which destroy a browser profiles. inside AND outside a sandbox.

if you have question to let firefox or chrome do a better cleaning job - ask about, dont ask about ccleaner.

9. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

They are now, since they've enforced active monitoring (tray icon) on us fro, v5.45.6611 [25 July 2018] onwards and sharing data with 3rd parties for analytics purposes.
    You can disable it, but after a restart, it will be back on and with the following in the Registry. You can delete it, but it will return after a restart.
    More Info:
    Dont install or upgrade to CCleaner 5.45

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  10. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

Piriform have back flipped and reverted back to v5.44.6575 [26 June 2018] after the backlash as stated on Piriform Forum.

If you have already upgraded to v5.45.6611, you will have to go back and download v5.44.6575 at their website.

11. trott3r

trott3r Registered Member

Couldn't you make that part of the registry read only with a security tool?

12. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

My Operating System is Windows XP, sp3, 32-bit. I have used CCleaner Free, for years, without any problems. I updated a few days ago to the new free version 5.45.6611. Today when I attempted to use the program whenever I moved the cursor over a selection the program would disappear. After several attempts, I removed the new version 5.45.6611, with Revo Uninstaller Pro, and replaced it with version 5.44.6575 but I am continuing to have the very same problem. Are any of our members, still using XP and CCleaner Free, experiencing the same problem? If so, I would appreciate knowing what was done to resolve the problem. I plan on removing 5.44.6575 in a day or so and replace it with an even older version to see if that will solve the problem. And if that doesn't then just wait until a new version of CCleaner Free comes out. I am not having any problems with any other of my programs. If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations I would appreciate hearing them. As always I appreciate all replies and would thank you in advance.

John

13. trott3r

trott3r Registered Member

Using V4.06 on xp pro 32bit here.

Just never updated but then i dont use it much

14. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

Seems I may have reacted too soon as later in the day everything was back to normal. Sorry!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.