Is bootback (FD-ISR) compatible with Acronis true image?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by ako, May 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Easter indeed raises an interesting question. I know I've never updated the version of FDISR that is in my secondary snapshot, nor the version which is in my basic_system snapshot which I took when I first got the computer.

I've restored the basic, and then updated from the archive which is current. Wonder what I have when I do that?

Pete

I just checked my secondary, and the latest version is there. So the question now would be on restore of early snapshot.

Last edited: May 15, 2007
  2. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

There is no rule. You can have only 1 snapshot or several, if that is what you want. The advantages of Rollback are that you can immediately go back to where ever you want with just a reboot, the snapshots are much faster than FD-ISR, and you use much less disk space.

The disadvantage is that there is not a facility to archive the snapshots. The new version does have a BartPE plug-in for imaging and Recovery, but it is very slow.

You have been putting down Rollback for weeks on these forums. Have you tested it?

It appears from your posts, that you have a base system that you work with that does not change much. FD-ISR is perfectly adequate for this kind of operation. If you change your system and experiment with new programs all of the time, then the combination of Rollback and FD-ISR is a very useful way to protect your system with very little effort. There is no bookeeping problem at all as you can enter comments about each snapshot. I rarely have over 3 or 4 Rollback snapshots, but I have the option to have as many as I want using very little resources. Because the snapshots are so easily and quickly made and accounted for, adding Rollback to my system has made my computing chores much easier and quicker. I would not, however, be without FD-ISR and I use it for archiving whenever I install a program that I am going to keep. I use FD-ISR in pretty much the same way as Peter does, ie, an nLite snapshot and a Primary snapshot along with a couple of clean system archives and all backed up by ATI (I will be switching to Shadow Protect as soon as V3 comes out assuming that it is stable and the HIR function works as advertised).

Silver

Last edited: May 15, 2007
  3. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Thats quite right silver0066

Out of nothing but pure curiosity i decided to try Rollback RX on a test drive and i am thrilled with BOTH the results as well as features. I'm particularly impressed with the ability of instantly restoring individual files/folders at will wheras in FD-ISR you need to turn to a program like XYplorer to pull out individual files from $ISR\0\1\2\3 etc. folder, although i done that too. :)

Also it's noteworthy to mention that you have privilege to unlimited snapshots you might as well say although most users likely will only use as many as the have space & time for.

What bothers me right now is that a rollback app rescued my programs & settings where a full image recovery app didn't, thats disturbing for me but not entirely surprising and is also the reason i invest in more hard drives than the average user or even some software lab analysts. I simply don't trust them to perform the same each and everytime, and that's a critical element for my confidence as well as preservation of my efforts on computers.

I have 2 more Paragon programs to examine like this although one of them i believe is strickly for cloning/duplicating to another HD. Therein lies my dilema, i seen more problems with ANY imaging app then other softwares in general. Or perhaps i just been out of the loop so long i base most of my suspicions of them from failed past experiences, including one most recent.

It's even led me to dig out my old Ghost 2003 CD which i may have already throwed away the serial for, i dunno, i did throw the box and code away because i kept it on another drive "Win98", that i long since wiped. I'm going thru all my old purchased CD's and cleaning house.

This Topic brings up a VERY CRITICAL concern: Seems to me that Imaging apps are still not as effecient as we would want or need them to be quite yet or otherwise why always so many questions revolving around compatibility with other programs, including in this case, a rollback recovery system.

4. Peter2150

Hi Easter

Rollback brings with it another imaging problem, but that is well documented. Funny I've gone the other way. Used to image with 4 programs, just in case. I've stopped bothering.

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Silver,
    I don't like to pay $70 for a software, that loses its snapshots after restoring an Image. What's the point of trialing RBRx, if I know in advance, I won't buy it.
    I don't waste my time and money on such softwares.
    It's not because a group of users are praising RBRx into heaven and are trying to make RBRx working properly, no matter what it takes, that I have to join that group. RBRx is a big step back for me and I like to go forward.
    Find me a better software than FDISR and I'm the first one to ditch FDISR, but not RBRx, that's not even competition. I will spend that $70 on ShadowProtect. :)

Last edited: May 16, 2007
  6. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

All costs aside, although that's important to us budgeteers, it's also of interest if a rollback app can perform stable and offer useful features, but most of all it MUST prove to rescue you when you need it the most; in that respect Rollback Rx came out smelling like a rose for me recently :) , but let's not get into any comparison disputes here, because Rollback Rx certainly DOES NOT allow you to build snapshots in the same manner as FD-ISR but each does have their own respective techniques that are beneficial.

For example i would prefer for FD-ISR to allow restoring individual files/folders like Rollback but with XYPlorer i do just that, only manually without any adverse affects on FD-ISR. Heck, if i want to borrow an app from say snapshot 5 i'll just drill down to it and Copy it over, simple as beans but you won't find that as a feature in FD-ISR, yet :D I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they eventually do include it though because it makes perfect sense and gives users another option to use.

Now all my satisfaction being said and done over my little issue, i haven't excused the fact yet that it just might have been Rollback Rx itself that caused Paragon to choke midway during it's restore. I know it must be a very fine line developers have to cross in order to get their program to not interfere with others as well as not be interfered with, and therein lies some more work for them to do.

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I keep FDISR anyway. I wonder if RBRx is even able to replace my "boot-to-restore" solution, which is my ultimate weapon against any kind of infection.
    I don't do this with a rollback snapshot, I do this with an archived snapshot on reboot and full automatic. I'm doing this already for a few months and it works each day.
    I can do anything in my frozen snapshot : add new objects, delete existing objects, replace existing objects. Everything what a malware can do also. It doesn't matter. I don't even need to restore file by file. I have everything back after a reboot of 100 seconds from desktop to desktop.
    I don't need 20 snapshots to do this, I only need ONE bootable snapshot and ONE archived snapshot.

Last edited: May 17, 2007
  8. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Well Erik, Rollback Rx, at least for me anyway, is certainly no replacement for FD-ISR because it doesn't gather up files/settings of my choosing in built snapshots for safekeeping like FD. It seems reliable in that it can roll me back again to a working system if the Rx snapshot i'm in bites the dust, but i prefer the FULL CONTENTS of snapshots that FD-ISR affords us, plus the ARCHIVES feature is 100% flexible & reliable since you can store ALL your data offsite/offdisk, whatever and reclaim the whole ball of wax in only a few moments of time which is remarkable! and Xtremely useful.

I see now why Rx can set such a seemingly endless number of restores because it works strickly off a SINGLE snapshot and references everything else, or so i'm told. Just how practical is that if your drive goes belly up?

If you have FD-ISR you can easily reclaim and return ALL individual files/folders etc. and reset those babies right back on the screen again. I don't really know that much about Rollback Rx but BOTH have their respective advantages, it's just that FD-ISR offers more in the way of real substance or material if you will and not only references to a SINGLE snapshot's contents, which is a critical limitation IMO.

9. Peter2150

Hi Easter.

We are drifting a bit on this topic, but if you really want to test Rollback durablity(don't know if anyone has done this on lastest version) just create several snapshots, and then once past it's past preboot, and at various stages of booting to logging in, just hit your power reset. Do it 5 times. This will simulate the crashing experience I had with one beta. FDISR passed with flying colors, and ultimately undid the mess. I tried it with Rollback and it crashed and trashed. Had to restore image. I suspect the problem was with stuff being passed thru the driver.

Pete

10. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Erik,

To Each His Own

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.