Is bootable CD generic

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jayeskay, Oct 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jayeskay

jayeskay Registered Member

I've created a bootable CD, and tested by restoring a system partition - so it works OK.

I also created the 6 set of floppys for testing a restore on my laptop which has a read only DVD. - what a pain. Sods law you get a duff floppy in the middle and have to start again. Even worse a read error when you're booting up (which I did).
    Eventually it worked OK, but a real time waster.

Can I use the bootable CD I created on my desktop to boot on my laptop.

What is actually on the bootable CD.

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi jayeskay

I can think of no reason why not.

This has already been answered by Acronis Support in this Forum. In a nutshell, the "full" Boot Rescue disk is Linux based, is generic to all systems and contains the latest Linux device drivers and program bug fixes/enhancements available to Acronis at the time of a particular Build release. Hence the need to create new boot rescue media each time you update to a later TI build number.

Regards

3. jayeskay

jayeskay Registered Member

Thanks Minorcaman,

I didn't want to try anything just in case ..

But, now I've tried a couple of things.

Used the CD on the laptop, and it worked, but ...
    It showed C, and D as system and data partitions - no problem.
    Then showed the DVD drive as E, and F, and G and H and I and J and K.
    The laptop's mouse pad didn't work, and I needed to have the USB mouse attached.
    Finally, and this probably obvious to others but it wasn't to me until it clicked - Doh!!
    My backup file was on a network desktop, and the "nearest computer" didn't display anything - why?. The laptop was using a wireless connection. When I used a hardwired link it saw the network partitions. The restore worked.

Next, tried the floppies (created on the laptop) on a desktop which will not boot CDs, and although the program booted up OK, the mouse was not functioning so I couldn't get to the "nearest computer" bit to link to the partition on network where the backup file was.
    I imagine it's because the laptop mouse is USB, and the desktop is PS2.

Anyway, getting there.

Regards,

Jayeskay

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jayeskay,

We regret to inform you that Acronis True Image standalone version doesn't support wireless network cards.

Regarding the mouse/touchpad problem please contact support@acronis.com and we will do our best in order to resolve this problem.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Andrew Berezovsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.