Is BoClean worth it?

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by SecurityUser, Nov 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SecurityUser

SecurityUser Guest

I am now using EWIDO for Trojan scanning and real-time monitoring. I WAS using it just for scanning as the resources sapped my PC, but the new 3.0 version released last week that addressed the resource issue, seemed to fix that for me. So - I'm still impressed with them for scanning and, now, its other protections.

With that in mind, is it worth it..... do I gain anything by buying BoClean? Newegg.com has it for only 23 bucks as a downloadable and that seems like a good deal if it were to offer more protection. But would it?

Any thoughts welcome and in advance, thank you Wilders!

2. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

Very Nice Product!! Use It Myself
    And If Your Not Happy Nancy Will Refund The Doe

3. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

4. SecurityUser

SecurityUser Guest

I'm glad you like BoClean. I would take the good price over the guarantee as I have a good idea what I want before I buy it. My question though is this -- having EWIDO real-time protections - would BoClean just be duplicating them? Is there a good reason to have both?

5. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

SecurityUser, I have not experienced ewidoS.S.
    so I cannot speak for it{many folks here use it}
    I can however speak for BOClean and it does what its suppose to do

6. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Security User,
    I am a big, big, fan of BoClean. But must be honest with you and say "duplicating" (never seen a side by side comparison). I am not sure, but if you are happy with EWIDO which is the pay version right? I would not switch? I am thinking of getting free EWIDO (no real time checks) and using it with BoClean. I am one who does not like security doing the same thing at the same time. I think it leaves big potential for problems, which translates into wasted money. Just my opinion others here do offer other good insights.
    ;)

7. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi,

I have Ewido and BOClean runnning side-by-side for a few months. Neither has picked up anything in real-time. Ewido's scanner has picked up some "spyware" cookies of small consequence. The software that I have that consistently finds something out of the ordinary are KAV 4.5.104 and TDS-3. Giant AS has picked up a nasty piece of spyware the others missed.

With that said, I feel better with Ewido and BOClean, since one nasty can really cause lots of headaches. I shut-down Ewido when I am doing KAV scans but I never have to shut down BOClean.

I know it doesn't help you much, but I thought I would relate my experiences so far.

Rich

8. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Like Rich, Ewido and BOClean has been running side-by-side for some time with no conflict's, i like both a lot. BOClean is the program that i personally notice the least (in a positive way) of all the programs i have ever used, you can set it to "fully automatic" if you want, i did this once and upon downloading a file, it just disappeared when i tried to open it, this went on for a couple of downloads until finally got i my brainfunction back to "normal" and looked in BOClean's log and sure enough it was a trojan! ;) :)

IMHO Ewido should be more than sufficient, but as i said the combo didn't create a conflict on my PC. :)

9. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I have TDS-3 as my scanner but chose not to use the resident part of this as I feel BOClean does more in this respect. I know Diamond are improving on the resident watch for TDS-4 but until then BOClean is doing the job perfectly for me :) The only time I remember it is there working in the background is when I have to lower the firewall setting in my router to collect the update.
    I also have heuristic scanning active in my AV and have no conflicts with this and BOClean. Support for the product is there which is a big plus ;)

10. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I havent tried ewido so cant comment on its effectiveness, however i can vouch for boclean as using very little resources and having an excellent detection rate ,and also daily updates.It has always been the first to detect trojans/malware in my experience over a few other leading ATs
    ellison

11. Storm

Storm Registered Member

Hi SecurityUser!

I'm using BOClean on my comp, on my sisters and my mums comp...

I am careful enough not to surf on the dark edge ;) but BOClean has saved my sisters a** more than once with different trojans, ad- and spyware (which her AV - RAV at this time - didn't pick up)...

Excellent software and excellent support (Kevin and Nancy REALLY care about their users and will help you any time if you're in trouble with malware... only company that can compare concerning customer service is DiamondCS IMHO)

And it only takes minimal resources even on older systems.

And as a bonus you can install BOClean on any computers you own (i.e. your desktop system, your notebook...) and you only have to pay for ONE license + you do not get billed again for updates!!

As for EWIDO... it seems to be a rising star on the AT-sky, but I think these guys still need to prove themselves... the EWIDO guys also are quick to act if you get in trouble, and do their very best to solve any problems with EWIDO:)

Decide for yourself... trial EWIDO, and test BOClean... if BOClean doesn't satisfy your protection needs, you will get a refund with no questions asked!

Greets
    Storm

12. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Robyn,

Of course I don't know what exactly might be the problem on your router with respect to downloading and installing the BOClean definition updates.

But I wonder whether this might help you:

===
    If for some reason you could not get an update in the usual way, try this:
    just go to this site:
    http://www.nsclean.com/update.html
    Then scroll down to the option to get the update by HTTP Download, download and run it, open your BOClean-menu and click "Reload/test update".
    ===

I hope this might help !

13. nameless

nameless Registered Member

No.
    ---

14. tech-addict

tech-addict Registered Member

Been using BoClean for 4 years and never had a problem.
    Highly recommend it !

15. nameless

nameless Registered Member

Am I the only one who read the opening post? He wasn't asking how awesome BOClean was; he was asking if it made sense to add it to what he already has.

Personally, I use BOClean. I tried Ewido, but its resident scanner devoured CPU far too much for my taste. Every time I launched a program, Ewido took 40-60% CPU. That's lousy program design.

But if Ewido works fine for you, I can't see any sense buying and using BOClean on top of it. That's my point.

16. securityuser

securityuser Guest

THANK YOU for all the thoughts concerning Boclean with Ewido. I know Boclean is a good program, I just was wondering if I get anything "extra" if I added it to my Ewido real-time. By the way, the new Ewido 3.0 makes a HUGE difference in resource usage. I used to use only the scanner, but the real-time protection is fine now with the resource issue fixed. I don't think I'll be adding Boclean right now, but will keep the purchase in mind for the future. Many thanks to everyone.

17. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

the new version is working perfectly...and there will be serious improvements in the near future ;)

18. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

No! That's due to a powerful scan-engine that does A LOT more (emulation etc.) than just generating and comparing checksums, searching for strings and so on...

19. Infinity

just give the new ewido a try, you won't regret it...the old version is loooong forgotten...:lol

20. muf

muf Registered Member

Gosh, aren't Ewido users overprotective of their application!!! I thought the NOD users were, but Ewido users really do take 1st prize. I hope i never become so obsessed or one track minded over a piece of software...

21. Infinity

:lol you should have seen me with sp2 lol

just getting late here...

I sometimes let myself get away...

22. securityuser

securityuser Guest

I hope you are kidding! I just see Infinity liking Ewido a lot. I have been reading through these forums and you want to see touchy and overprotective? Read some posts from those who think DiamondCS can do no wrong. Frankly, many of those posts and many of the people who own every single thing DiamondCS makes, creates an almost cult like hysteria at times! Everyone has their own favorites I suppose.

23. muf

muf Registered Member

Yeah, suppose that is the brunt of it. People have their favourites. I have noticed that certain products or companies have their cult followers. I see nothing wrong in people 'loving' an application that they firmly believe is the best. But people do try to 'persuade' others that what they say is true. "Mine is the best, make no mistake and don't even question it!!!" Sometimes i get the feeling they can be so obsessed to the point that their judgement becomes clouded. I mean, nothing is bulletproof right? And i do mean nothing!!!

Anyhoo! Back to the topic. :D

I use BOClean, think it's great. I know it's not bulletproof, but i accept that. It has no scanner, but i don't really care because the trojan is only a threat once it becomes active. If a trojan is unknown to BOClean then it doesn't matter if it's not got a scanner, even if it had a scanner the trojan would still be unknown and therefore will still go undetected. So the main priority is that the database is kept up to date and the signatures are strong. What good is a anti-trojan with an out of date database? Being kept up to date is one place that BOClean excels, with daily updates. But, and i mean BUT, if Ewido is updated regular enough for your requirements and it works well on your system then as Nameless said, no i don't believe BOClean would be needed as well.

muf

24. Infinity

Nothing, you are right about that. no security app is giving me a sence off full security. hence my licence of numerous respectable vendors out there.

however, for the time being licenced to Ewido (or kav, no32, tds, ... ...) I do have a certain feeling about Ewido, I don't mind saying it...it is the only AT who found certain things on my app. in the beginning I was talking about tracking cookies or whatever... but if you really are interested take a look at Nautilus his site, it is mentioned before...you will see that Ewido has the best performace...and that for an AT which is only like 5!!!! months old and only 1 month old in his appearance at the moment...

do not get me wrong...I AM a rather critical someone, but tell me one prog what is like 6 months old and make a point what so ever, except for GIANT antispyware,...

I am not a favourite fan of ewido or bashing another tool, it is just my opinion, just like you have yours, and I respect you for having yours...

do not disrespect me for having one...I NEVER have bashed another app, even if I wasn't licenced to one...you will see it anyway...it arrival of Ewido is making progress to other players around....

AND THAT WILL BENEFIT US ALL

Have a nice evening you all.

25. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Judging by the above post (I'm talking about Muf 'cos Infinity was typing same time as me!) you can never have tried Ewido!

Updates are pratically daily. Sigs are strong and over 65,000. It scans, it dances, it does the dishes......

Just try it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.