Is Backup and Recovery 10 compatible with System Backup 2010?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by DoktorSteve, Dec 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoktorSteve

DoktorSteve Registered Member

I downloaded the free edition of Backup and Recovery 10 on Thursday last week. I made a backup to my USB drive. It looked OK but I thought that I would try System Backup 2010 so I downloaded that on Friday - and made a backup. I used the PC on Saturday with no problems. Today - Monday - my PC refuses to boot into XP. THe screen stops with the cursor in the top left corner.
    I revovered using the image from SB2010 and ran it for a few hours. When I powered up in the afternoon I was back to the black screen with the cursor. I loaded the the SB2010 image again with the same result i.e. the PC ran until I tried rebooting. The third time I loaded the BR10 image. That is running and rebooting OK. I have now bought Hard Disk Manager 2009 and I am concerned that this might all fall apart again.
    Do I need to deinstall BR10 before I load HDM2009?
    Could there be a conflict with Kaspersky Internet Security 2009?

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Hello DoktorSteve,

Neither backup utilities should have affected your computer. It's possible that somehow the MBR or partition flags were changed by accident. The data shouldn't have been affected and a few quick steps with the CD could bring the computer back up.

Since you have HDM, create a recovery CD, Tools > Recovery Medial Builder.

When you boot into the recovery CD, make sure your operating system is active and not hidden as well update the MBR.

3. DoktorSteve

I thought that the MBR must be damaged somehow. I wound back to the point before I installed SB and I am quite happy to live without it.
    SB might be OK for my Mum but it is not for me! The lack of control and the difficulty in stopping a backup after it had started was so annoying. Was it designed by Germans? ;)

I still have the faulty image on a second drive, which I bought to test the recovery, so i might try to make it bootable with the HDM recovery CD as you suggested.

4. DoktorSteve

Am I being picky here?
    In HDM 2009, Restore files just opens the Restore Wizard which allows me to restore whole disks or partitions so I cannot restore individual files.
    In B&R 10 Free, Restore from selected archive opens a similar looking Restore Wizard but I can now open the tree structure of the archived drive and choose individual files.
    Rather glad that I have both installed!
    Is that something that I can expect to work in HDM 2010?

5. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

You can expect HDM 2010 to include some of the newer features and fixes that you have seen in the recent programs such as Backup & Recovery 10 Suite, System Backup, Drive Backup 10 and etc.

6. DoktorSteve

Great :)
    Cheers Tommy - that should be an excellent product.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.