Is AVK-G Data antivirus using any proxy?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by poirot, Jan 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poirot

poirot Registered Member

I dont think the new AVK , Kaspersky+bitDefender double engine, is using any proxy for detection -the way avast! or panda do; i went through their page which is very scant and there was no mention about any proxy use:
    their heuristic monitor OutbrekShield should employ no proxy either.
    Moreover,they support IMAP emails which is important for me.
    My question stems from the fact that i want to keep using my Sygate Pro firewall, at least for another year, (couldnt find anything better), and this one notoriously suffers from the proxy syndrome.
    If anyone (NicM?) could please let me know for SURE that there is no trace of proxies in AVK 2006 antivirus i'd be glad to try it.

2. nicM

nicM nico-nico

hi poirot :)

Bad news or not, I don't know, but there IS actually a proxy in AVK:

On their site, you can see:

You could try first to use it with proxy enabled, and IF Sygate conflicts, you can disable Avk's proxy, just find the "Web" tab in Avk's options, and disable http check, reboot. Doing that, you'll still be checking IMAP, POP etc (separated settings for mail scanning), but the best is probably to try it: I didn't try both programs together so I can't tell if there is a conflict or not with Avk's http check.

Cheers,
    nicM

3. poirot

poirot Registered Member

Hello nicM, thank you for replying. Yes what you say "might" be bad news for me,but the extent of it is not clear yet to me, due to the extremely rare tech news about AVK, their official site says nothing more than a pamphlet.
    But to make a long story short: you know about Sygate, if a proxy is used the browser of your choice will not prompt out Sygate,so that i dont receive those initial warnings of an outgoing connection so dear to me. Now i am using Avast! in order to get IMAP protection and,mind you,i am more than satisfied with it,but if i keep using it i'll have to give up the 50% of outgoing control in order to enjoy the very efficient Webshield proxy of Avast!. Someone would rather change firewall,but i'd rather do this as an extreme ratio.
    After your posts i was all bent on buying AVK,but i wouldnt like another ordeal like with the Avast proxy!
    The only tech reference i found was in French at
    http://www.afjv.com/press0510/051013_antiviruskit2006internetsecurity.htm
    where it says:

* Plus de problèmes grâce au proxy-HTTP d'AntiVirusKit2006, qui analyse tous les flux entrants avant que les données ne soient enregistrées sur le disque dur
    * Les éléments néfastes sont directement reconnus et bloqués avant qu'ils ne soient transmis au navigateur ou sauvegardés sur le PC
    * AntiVirusKit2006 est aussi compatible avec tous les systèmes Windows 64 bits

The first line suggests by all means that i'd be confronted with the same Avast problem,as this AVK proxy works exactly like Avast. (there is no icon equal to my grief to put here.....)
    If you have any tech about this matter in your Help or anything relevant ,to the effect that even without that feature its the same thing...., could you please perhaps send me a PM , French is fine ,i can understand very well.

regards, poirot

4. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Yes, that's the risk here, maybe you won't get prompts by Sygate when a program is starting a new connection. But without to try Sygate and Avk together we can't know if this will happen (for instance every AV with proxy don't work at the same level. I said before that Sygate and Avast work together on Windows98, for instance, unlike with XP. I had problems with Panda, which proxy is working on Winsock I think).

It depends of your firewall settings, too: I did run Avk and FireBall (by RedCannon, a good firewall by the way :) ), and Fireball couldn't catch outgoing connections in simple mode, but it was working fine with Avk proxy, if used in "advanced mode" - rule creation for each program. Maybe the same can be done with Sygate?

There are two options at the end, if Sygate and Avk conflict: you change your firewall :eek: (Avk proxy does work flawlessly with Kerio 4, that's the one I use on the computer where I've Avk running; you see all processes with their own connection in Kerio's main window. And with the 15 $ price of Kerio, that would be my best advice to you :D , with the free version. Outpost/ZA/L'n'S work fine too), or you disable the proxy - you can be assured it will work with Sygate this way. Your last question is about it, and yes you loose this feature (malware checking before pages are loaded in your browser, with access denied when pages are infected), but I'm sure the AV remains efficient like this; the difference is just malware will be checked "later", at the moment they're written on HD/ in the browser temp files. To tell you the truth, I'll use it this way (more light) if I buy it for my other computer.

In the balance, I prefer to keep control on connections and loose this additional protection, if I can keep only one. And this feature wasn't available in Avk 2005 by the way, that didn't prevent it to be very efficient. In fact, I consider this feature should be an option, and should be removed during setup, in a custom install - that's not the case with Avk 2006, but you can disable it once installed.

Don't hesitate to ask if you've more questions.

Cheers,
    nicM

5. poirot

poirot Registered Member

nicM,your post is amply exhaustive and helped me to focus the matter.

that's why i was trying to gather some tech info, if nothing else,to be able to establish that AVK and Avast,for instance,work at the same level.

I dont think that's possible, or at least i've exhausted my resources trying to find a way out to use a web proxy and at the same time being prompted, here,at Sygate and Avast forums.

:) i anticipated you on this, i used to run 2.15 and now in December i just bought the Sunbelt version 4.2.3 for my second pc,i like it a lot,too,especially the alerts that you can use if and when you want to have an instant insight on whats going on.Overall i think it is good,but where Sygate is superior is stability (Kerio frequently gives BSODS for the most trivial things) and some features like Logging,which give you a quicker idea of whats going on,IMO,and moreover,Sygate comes out of the pack already stealthed,while i had to 'import' the old rules made for 2.1.5 into Packet filter to make Kerio4 stealth,and it took a few days work for me.
    Ideally i could make a mass move btw my two computers and put Kerio4 and AVK together in my more powerfull pc......got to think about it.

I entirely subscribe to what you say about the possibility of making either a custom install or disabling the :D obnoxious:D proxy feature of AVK, i too
    i've got to think about what to do a few days more,i'll let you know the outcome, thanks for the time being,

poirot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.