Is avira pushing users to premium by stopping free version update?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by bollity, Oct 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SammyJack

SammyJack Registered Member

I used it from the end of Avira 7.all the way through Avira 8,and was waiting on Avira 9,when I said enough is enough.
    Whatever Avira's corporate strategy is,I have had enough of the update dreck.
    If that makes Avira happy,is part of "a bigger picture" etc,great.
    I have spent a grand total of $35.00 US to secure my system.
    Not a cent of it with those who lead me to weeping and gnashing of teeth over updates.
    Its all good.

2. progress

progress Guest

I would rather change the AV than pay for a product which doesn't work flawlessly in the free version :rolleyes:

There are a some free AV nowadays: AVG, Avast, MSE, Panda is comming ...

3. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Look....if your [not directed at anyone in particular in this thread] security setup is so reliant on an up to date anti-virus then stop being a cheapskate and pay for one....or change your setup to one where an antivirus is a 2nd or 3rd line or defense.
    Avira Free is 'free' so don't expect the same level of 'service' as the paid one. It's intended to be used by occasional low-risk internet users for whom signatures that are a few days out of date isn't a serious issue.

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

AVG still offers crippled protection, so no, I would *never* consider AVG as a free solution.

5. gery

gery Registered Member

at least no update probs and nags like avira. i would definitely go with avg or avast:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

6. elapsed

Funny that *no one* recommends AVG free on the user poll eh? At least with Avira you will get the protection eventually, with AVG, you will never get it. :'(

Face it, AVG free sucks, and will always suck until they stop crippling it, they should have the same detection as AVG paid to make it a good free AV.

7. Leo2005

Leo2005 Registered Member

no!

i won't quote everybody now, but this is for all thos with the same opinion.

the paid personal versions have been introduced in 2005 until that point avira free had about 5 million users with 4 update servers. the udpdate mecanisme was that bad, that you had to reload always the complete installer when a programfile was updated and always the complete detection file. but the servers where already at their limits and avira added 2 more servers and introduced the incremental update system for the detection file, so that smaller vdf files could be downloaded.
    till now avira increased the number of the free servers to 10, compared to 4 for the premium versions.
    but also the number of 5 million useres increased to 100 million
    but there are financial limits for avira, cause ther is no incoming money for the free version.
    so they tuned the update system to have smaler files, which was done in version 7 by having an updater being able to only update new files. with version 8 they introduced a modular engine which limits the update size again, as only the changed engine files need to be updated.

and for the last update avira introduced only for the free version a new peak handling via CDN, which augments the free servers update capacities about a factor 6.
    the only problem is, that this does only work with the latest avira program versions.

8. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Same with me. They haven't been this bad.

Ice

9. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

if they try to push for paid versions...
    is really a poor business strategy....

10. elapsed

Everyone loves a good conspiracy theory.

11. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

really? so u think that they shuld just give away all their services then become a charity as well? get real, they need to give incentive for the paid version, afterall a free version of a product is simply an advertisement for the paid version...

12. progress

progress Guest

I agree :)

It's the top download on download.com :) I think it's time to stop your bashing now :)

13. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

and who said "they should just give away all their services"...
    who's requesting for that...we're talking about avira free isuues..
    btw we don't work for avira.

14. elapsed

My bashing, you think purposely crippled software doesn't deserve bashing? I'm not sure what you're trying to prove with download.com other than it's been on there the longest amount of time, and as so, people know what it is ^^

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=256212

15. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

At the moment the only realistic solution in order to update the free version is to download the IVDF and do a manual update. It takes 2 minutes since the download is fast ( about 300 kbytes/sec ).

http://www.avira.com/en/support/vdf_update.html

Now about those who defend Avira on this. Do you find realistic to try a whole day to get your AV updated? On one pc I was trying since 28 October to update and finally I've done a manual update today. This is not about offering something for free...they don't offer it at all. The only solution I see is a reduced number of free users in the future so the load on the servers will be less...and it happens slowly...Too many of my friends have moved to Avast these two last months. So for all of you who will remain with Avira I'm sure you'll have a better future ( updating wise ).

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  16. progress

progress Guest

17. greenhorn113

greenhorn113 Registered Member

No offence but that strikes me as bull, signatures out of date for a casual user that isn't clued up on layered protection, may well be more at risk.

My own experience of Avira as a premium user was fine but when trying free after the inclusion of anti spyware, I found updates or lack of a serious issue, hence no longer on my system.

As of tonight I am trying a new combo, early days but so far really responsive, but layered.

18. greenhorn113

greenhorn113 Registered Member

Wicked but is it Nosferatu or Salems lot o_O

19. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

:thumb: At some point, there's a limit.

20. SammyJack

SammyJack Registered Member

greenhorn113:

"No offence but that strikes me as bull, signatures out of date for a casual user that isn't clued up on layered protection, may well be more at risk.

My own experience of Avira as a premium user was fine but when trying free after the inclusion of anti spyware, I found updates or lack of a serious issue,"

With you on that.

The producers did a shameless rip off of Nosferatu for Kings "Barlow" character in the Salems Lot movie.
    In the book,the Barlow character was much more suave,Christopher"Lee-ish".

Forgive off topic in honor of Halloween,please mods?

21. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

While I don't mind paying a fair price for security applications, I am convinced that some free versions offer protection equal to their paid versions.

I believe that Avira free provides the same protection as the Premium, and if I remember correctly IBK as made such statements regarding the free ones.

Avast has always been my favorite among the freebies, and considering the last AVC test results it would offer all the protection I need when combined with even the Windows firewall, SAS Pro, and scans with MBAM.

I suppose one can make a case for several updates per day, but I am not convinced for that degree of updating.

If one is diligent he can get some excellent offers for several of the top notch AVs.

Regards,
    Jerry

22. elapsed

Criticize my statement all you want, but I'm sure I'm not the only one that finds it really saddening that anyone could recommend an AV to their friends with purposely reduced detection. If you think using Avira updates is a good "counter" to this argument, then I can just shave down the list to MSE and Avast! to which you have no counter argument. But personally for the sake of your friend, I couldn't see how anyone who truly cares would recommend AVG free.

23. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

No, the free version lacks webguard, mailguard, and spyware/adware protection.

24. elapsed

I beg to differ, here's a quote from an experienced Avira user.

25. progress

progress Guest

Avast Free (no script blocker) and Avira Free (no enhanced antispyware/no webshield/sometimes no updates) have also reduced detection :( Do you recommend them to your friends? :D

As you can see, most free AV have some limitations - if you want all features you can buy it.

But let's get back to Avira Free :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.