Is Avira 9 incompatible with Windows Defender?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Zyrtec, May 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hi,

I've been reading at Avira forums that they recommend disabling Windows Defender on Windows Vista 32-bit once you install the new version of Avira antivir 9 because it causes conflicts and BSOD as well...

Is it true? I've been testing Avira 9 for a few days on Windows Vista without disabling WD and I haven't noticed any BSOD or incompatibilities.

What's your take about it?

Regards,

Carlos

2. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

hmm im not sure, i normally have defender disabled anyways but i was running with it on for about a week and didnt get nay problems :doubt:

3. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Note: applies to Avira AntiVir Premium only and probably when Windows Defender is set to automatically scan PC daily, especially option scan archives and folders.

4. robinb

robinb Registered Member

if you have windows defender to do a scan at the exact time as avira you will run into a huge problem wether you use the pro or free version. In fact if you have WD set to do a scan at the same time as any antivirus program you will run into the same problem.
    You need to make sure they do not run at the same time- leave about 3hrs between each one

robin

5. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

They should work fine together, as far as I know from others who have WD enabled.

In my case, I have it completely turned off (and I would uninstall it, if I could) since I got my first vista.

6. mnosteele

mnosteele Registered Member

I'm sure you saw the thread at DSLR about this where Mele20 was stating that WD should be removed completely as per Avira's techs.

I don't understand why, I have setup hundreds of pcs using both Avira FREE and Pro with WD running in real-time with absolutely NO conflicts. On a rare occasion WD detected something that Avira did not. I think it's a good combo, WD is free and auto updates and can be scheduled to scan. I would like to know why they recommend not using both, besides, in Vista and Windows 7 WD is built in. I'm not a big advocate of using mutiple scanners in real time, even one being anti virus and the other antispyware, but even though Avira detects spyware, nothing is 100%.

:)

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I am running Avira Premium and have Defender turned off here. I don't see the need for both anyway, so better to avoid any possible conflicts.

8. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Same here, I really think that Avira on its own is more than adequate as an antispyware.

9. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Windows Defender is more like a simple HIPS than AS, that is its advantage. If I had to choose to run only one security app, I woould rather run WD than Avira.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.