Is anyone . . .

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by jpcummins, Oct 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

I have heard of backup/restore problems involving most, if not all, backup/restore software programs available. I am beginning to believe that regardless of how careful you are when backing up your system that when/if the time arrives when you must restore that then and only then will you find out whether or not the backup is good.

This being the case I would like to know for sure whether or not it is safe to use 2 backup/restore programs. I have Acronis True Image (paid) and would like to add Macrium Reflect (free). Idea is to have a backup of each to both of my external drives.

Is anyone doing this or does anyone know for sure if this would be safe or would the 2 programs interfere with one another.

I would appreciate very much hearing from someone who knows for sure. Thanking you in advance.

John

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi John

Depends on how you do it. Running two of them in windows on an automated schedule, might cause problems. But if you do the back ups from the Recovery CD, then there shouldn't be any possible issue.

I used to run 3 different programs, mainly because I was too scared to restore.

But since switching to Shadow Protect, I've never had a failed restore, and am probably approaching close to a thousand restores. This also includes some beta versions.

Pete

3. Spiral123

Spiral123 Registered Member

I use 2 backup applications for this reason.

For example If I use NTBackup, which uses it's own proprietary compression format, and Areca Backup which stores files is a common format like zip in individual archives. The proprietary format creates huge compressed files, and if any 1 byte of that file is corrupt it could make the entire backup useless. Hence the second backup method, using more open file format and in smaller individual archive pieces.

As far as imaging goes, thats a different animal. Imaging creates a large file that cannot be broken down, to be accessed individually. So generally every byte in that 4 gig file are critical to keep a good image. I would suggest verify, and test restore. Imaging to me is more of a time saver when restoring and entire machine. Backup (NTBackup or Areca example above)is more critical in recovering valuable and irreplaceable data issue.

My thoughts anyway...

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  4. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

Thanks Pete

I didn't believe that there would be any problems as long as I didn't have them both running at the same time. But, I wanted to hear that from someone else. The only backups I do will be manual. And, if I am lucky, may never have to do a full restore.

John

5. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

That is one heck of a ringing endorsement, Pete.
    If I decide to upgrade my backup software (currently using an older version of ATI), I will seriously look into Shadow Protect.
    Like you, I have never had a failed restore, but my numbers are way, way down compared to yours... like less than 25, if I had to guess.

6. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

For several years, I've been creating whole partition images first using Acronis 9, then switching to using both Paragon 10 Professional and Macrium Reflect (free).

All of the images are of the entire install- no incremental or differential backups.
    The target drives have been identical Maxtor 200gb SATA-IIs in identical Bytecc USB 2.0 external enclosures.; one for the Paragon images, the other for those made by Macrium.

I feel very secure having two identical backups of the image and the time involved is no big deal as I always perform the backups manually.

Once in memory I've had a failed restore (Macrium)- don't know why.
    I have no experience with Shadow Protect, but two friends swear by it and based on it's reputation, I'm thinking SP is what I would buy if I needed a backup/imaging solution.

And perhaps this will matter to you- perhaps not.
    Although it is not freeware, I prefer Paragon over Macrium because I can not only restore an image, but also create one without having to install the program.
    Everything I need to do can be done from the rescue CD.
    For me, that is an absolute "must-have" should I ever need or want to make a change.

7. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

Hi John,

Instead of using two local imaging programs, imho a much wiser approach would be to complement your ATI backups with one of the many online (cloud) storage/backup solutions! ;)

8. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

I would suggest that that ringing endorsement is right on the money. SP is very highly recommended and as far as I can gather from my own research when I was trying to decide on a program it is the best program out there. It is also one of the more expensive ones but thats not a problem given the critical nature of the job it has to do. Thats why I bought it.

That being said I still image with 2 programs just to be extra safe. In my case I am using Shadow Protect and Paragon Back-up and Recovery. I also make a point of having a relatively current image stored off site. The best program in the world will do you no good if the PC is stolen or destroyed in a fire (for example).

I would also suggest that the only way to be 100% sure an image is good is to actually try to do a restore with it. If it worked once it will work again. If it fails you will be back to the system state the PC was in when you tried to do the restore (I have never had a restore fail with either SP or Paragon by the way).

9. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

By this I assume you mean a backup service rather than storing an image on-line. Is that correct? I use Idrive to back up my critical data files. The service checks all targeted files every 10 min and if it finds a change in one (or more) it automatically updates the file. It also stores up to 30 versions of each file.

10. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

Yes, a backup service and/or file-share, file-sync service - per John's needs.

11. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I only use one program per machine, and namely ShadowProtect. Unlike Pete I'm approaching close to "only" a hundred restores without the slightest glitch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.