is anyone using Privoxy? do you have this problem and want to help improve it?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by iceni60, May 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, i haven't tried fixing this myself yet and don't really know if i've misconfigured Privoxy. i wanted to start this thread so this gets resolved and i don't forget about it :rolleyes: and hopefully end up having a thread with some configuration references.

i'm using Privoxy, with Opera, just as an http proxy without TOR. when i go to this site all the ads show up on the right. i need to find a list i can put into Privoxy to block ads.

does Privoxy support regular expression? if so i suppose i'll be able to export a good filter set from somewhere like adblock or proxomitron. is anyone else using Privoxy in the same way and want to help making it better? or have you got anything to help make it better?

here's something else i found
    http://nion.supersized.org/blog/archives/441-Privoxy-image-tuning.html

i've saved the image so i'll point Privoxy to my HDD

2. z12

z12 Registered Member

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, Mike. i didn't notice your post, sorry. in the end i did afew other things like use an adblocking hosts file and add URLs to Opera's filter.ini. i made some changes to Privoxy's filters too but stopped short of adding Firefox's adblock filter set, although i might try it next time i setup a new OS because i think it can be used with Privoxy.

i love Proxomitron, but i'm using Linux atm. here's my filter.ini file. i think i should try and make it abit better :cautious: i renamed it to filter.txt so i could upload it.

Attached Files:

4. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

I am currently using proxomitron on linux (ubuntu, well fubuntu to be precise since I use fluxbox :D ). I have a line in my fluxbox startup up file to always run something like
    and then I will have the good ol' green triangle with sidki's filterset in my tray watching over me :cool: . Just follow the how-to in ubuntu's forum on setting up wine(i did all of the fonts, IE, and media player installation for kicks), then you are good to go. I am sure gnome has a startup config somewhere if you are using it and just insert the same line.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

Proxomitron is just about my all time favourite program :cool: i have thought about using Wine with Proxo (or just Proximodo) but have always backed away from it thinking it won't run smoothly and/or there'll be problems.

have you not had any problems at all with Proxo and Wine? does Wine use alot of resources or cause conflicts or anything bad at all? thanks

6. Alphalutra1

I have had no problems, it has worked flawlessly for the past two weeks (I just started with ubuntu)

I haven't had any conflicts, but I have not checked resources. My computer doesn't ever seem any slower though, but it is hard to tell running fluxbox :D .

Alphalutra1

7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks for the help. i'll try it out.

btw, you can use a program called conky to measure resources with Fluxbox it's in apt/synaptic.
    http://conky.sourceforge.net/

8. Alphalutra1

That you for telling me about that program, it is very nice. Proxomitron is using zero cpu and only taking around 11 MB of RAM, which is reasonable in my opinion.

Alphalutra1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.