Is anyone using Epiphany?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Eice, Dec 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Since Firefox and Opera are unbearably slow with Compiz enabled, I've switched over to Chromium as my default browser on Ubuntu. But given how Chromium tends to have "bad build" days every now and then when it can get pretty unstable and/or annoying, I went and downloaded Epiphany as a backup browser.

The thing I absolutely HATE about Epiphany now is how it respects default Linux shortcuts and ignores Windows ones, e.g. no Ctrl-Tab support to switch tabs, back/forward is Ctrl-Alt-Left/Right instead of Backspace/Shift-Backspace, Ctrl-F4 doesn't close tab, Alt-D doesn't focus address bar, etc. Hence the question is: is there any way to make Epiphany honor common Windows keyboard shortcuts, as Firefox/Opera/Chromium does? Or failing that, are there any good browsers for Ubuntu that I can use as a backup for Chromium?

Thanks.

2. phaedrus

phaedrus Registered Member

Galeon or Konqueror maybe ?

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Wouldn't it be better if you just used your built-in human ability to adapt? :)

4. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Hmm, not really. I want my computer to adapt to me. :D

Besides, the Linux keyboard shortcuts are just horrible:
    Switch tabs: Ctrl-Alt-PgUp/PgDn. This requires both hands instead of Ctrl-Tab which can be done with one.
    Focus address bar: Alt-D can be done with the left hand. Ctrl-L requires both hands, or the right hand if you use the right Ctrl key. Unfortunately my right hand is often on my mouse, and I don't want to move it to the keyboard and back if possible.
    Back/forward: a combination of the above two issues.

And so on and so forth.

5. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

I actually like Epiphany. I tried it again (along with a bunch of other Linux browsers) just here recently. Very light on resources when compared to Firefox (14-15 Mbs versus 47 Mbs). The only problem I have with it is font size control. It's very inconsistent. A WebKit bug to my understanding. Arora is very nice, too.

Later...

6. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

Google just released an official BETA of Chrome for Linux. They have the .deb on their website for download. I just downloaded it while ago and have been playing with it. It works very well.

If using Compiz, you can adjust which key combinations these functions use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.