is anyone interested in learning some new linux things?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by iceni60, Mar 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i've been using linux most days now for a few years. but, i spend too much time watching films and tv shows and don't think i've learned anything in the last 2 years, at least. without doubt i've started to forget whatever it was i did know in the first place! at this rate, by the end of the year, i'll have forgotten how to switch the thing on and will just have to be content to stare at my reflection in the monitor lol.

does anyone want to set/do tasks/challenges, or whatever will help to learn some new things? maybe writing and posting scripts, using monodevelop, or setting up something on a spare box (LAMP??) maybe setting up an unpatched XP locally then running some linux tools over ethernet to help learn more about TCP/IP or whatever?

by myself i won't do it and will lightly end up watching more tv (not that i don't like watching lost :D ), but if a few people are doing the same thing and posting results and questions/answers/problems/solutions i'm sure i'll end up learning again!

i hope when i have a clearer head in the morning i'll know what i was talking about lol :D :eek:

2. Arup

Arup Guest

Actually Linux has made me lazy, I don't check for latest AV, AS, HIPS, I don't bother to find upgrades for drivers or installed programs. I don't have to bother to defrag etc. Thats the beauty of Linux.

3. SpikeyB

SpikeyB Registered Member

Hi iceni60

Here's one for you. I managed to fix a problem with my tablet, on Dapper, a while ago thanks to this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=69355

However, I'm now on Hardy and the same fix causes the session to crash out to the login screen whenever the pen goes near the tablet.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Not sure if that's the type of thing you were after.

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I'm always willing to help and do funky stuff ... :)

iceni, wanna refresh your thinking - try to write a few tutorials about things that users have problems with. For example, how to stream media on linux, how to add subtitles to movies, best players, best burners ...

Then, here's a few titles for you: tcpdump, arping, arpwatch, nagios ... Study them.

Mrk

5. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Can such a thing be set up via VM, like Virtualbox, probing done all on the same system?

Outside of some simple scans with nmap or superscan, I'm perplexed.

I'd also be interested in flashing my bios with Linux.

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Sure you can. Your limitations are hard disk space, processor speed. You can have a little farm and enjoy hacking without leaving your host.
    Mrk

7. Arup

Arup Guest

For flashing BIOS with Linux you need to create a bootable USB or CD, its as simple as that, I have done it couple of times on my Intel and ASUS boards.

8. Searching_ _ _

9. Arup

Arup Guest

10. Searching_ _ _

Yeah and the cool thing is no network stack in the bios.

Your MB is D5400xs, no? A dual socket design that supports quad 2 and xeon.
    spensive.
    Not sure about a firmware hub with your Intel 5400 MCH.

You could try on your own, somebody has Windows 7 booting with it on unsupported chipset using seaBIOS.

11. Arup

Arup Guest

Yes currently I have that board and its not supported unfortunately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.