Is anonymising with HTTPproxies reliable ?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by pot36, May 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pot36

pot36 Registered Member

I always ask my self about HTTP proxies wich are suggested freely online, are they reliable or not? do they save personal informations ? if yes for the benefit of whom ?

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

I've used HTTP and HTTPS proxies from several sources, free and paid. I'm not sure what you mean by "reliable", but generally they're not very. They tend to get maxed out, especially the free ones, and refuse connections. And unless you check with a testing website that shows request headers, you can't be sure that they're "anonymous" (don't report your IP address as referrer).
    You never know who's logging what for whom :eek:

3. pot36

pot36 Registered Member

@mirimir
    I mean by reliable two things, first: are they really anonnymous- obviously I check that via other websites, but I'm not sure if that is sufficient, a exemple of test :http://ip.cc/anonymity-test.php -, second: for what sake they are suggested freely ?
    Indeed free ones are very slow and even they fail to connect sometimes.

4. mirimir

That seems to be a good test site for proxies. Unless it's lying, it's reporting what you need to know.
    That's hard to know. Sometimes it's just for the public good, in the cypherpunks tradition. Sometimes it's self-promotion, as with HideMyAss. And maybe some are collecting data :(
    Yes, that is a problem. Best is getting fresh proxy lists, and using the newest ones. Or you can pay for private proxies. Some SEO proxy providers give you a management interface.

5. pot36

pot36 Registered Member

@mirimir
    Great advantage of HTTP proxies : some times we run into universities proxies and we get paid stuff freely.
    Tools I used to seek for proxies: proxyhunter, then I resolve results with fastresolver to filter universities severs.

6. mirimir

That's a good point. Clever :thumb: Academic publishers charging 30 USD per article is obscene :sick:

7. pot36

pot36 Registered Member

@mirimir
    But security and risks are uncertain !

8. mirimir

No free lunch ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.