Is an anti-virus program necessary ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Fly, Jan 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fly

Fly Registered Member

My current setup: Windows XP Home Edition, McAfee Virusscan Plus 2008 (which I plan to discontinue), Counterspy, the Spy Sweeper (WITHOUT antivirus).

I don't think I've found even one virus over the past two years.

Spyware is a completely different story.

Well, the question could be: when is it a virus, when is it spyware/adware ?
    (I know that sometimes the word virus is used for all kinds of malware).
    Traditionally, viruses were created to cause 'downtime', while spyware/adware was intended to monitor the computer and it's user.

I don't know to what extent 'viruses' and spyware are coded or delivered differently.
    Why would an anti-spyware program catch spyware but not viruses ? And why would anti-virus software not catch spyware ?

I understand that you need anti-virus software to catch some trojans, and anti-spyware to catch others. (assuming that you don't use specialized anti-trojan software)

I could use some insight.

If I were to get a new anti-virus program I would want something relatively light, not as huge as McAfee's. I'm really not sure what really matters much, great heuristics that catches new viruses, or a large signature base ? Of course, a good signature base is only as good as the effectiveness of the software to prevent/block infections. McAfee is good at this, but it's HUGE and it has some characteristics of spyware (Doubleclick vs .... etc.) It's also quite expensive. (normal price about 50 euros or 74 USD) (McAfee has a policy that's country related).

Suggestions ? I intend to keep Counterspy and the Spy Sweeper.

2. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

Nop... :rolleyes:

3. Xenophobe

Xenophobe Registered Member

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

After going round and round with this, I say they are a total waste of money and very out dated in terms of security. There are enough freebies out there that will protect you better then a AV.

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.