Is a Recovery Disc for ISR possible !

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by pinso, Aug 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pinso

pinso Registered Member

Hello folks,
    although i am Restoring from the Windows environment itself: i have been having this idea if i could Recover the Snapshot from the DOS mode like in Drive Snapshot using a Floppy or a Recovery CD. The reason why i say is this a User could save a lot of Space and their would be no need for a Secondary Snapshot and lot quicker. It would be easy for a User with less Disc Space and using only one Snapshot OS, I don't think any Average users could make a Recovery disc: but who would have thought that having Win7 in a Snapshot just by changing the MBR was possible.

I don't know if its entirely possible or if it could be achieved. Can someone make it.

Many thanks:

2. pinso

pinso Registered Member

ohhh....ok its not possible.

3. carfal

carfal Registered Member

pinso, I would recommend that you install a bare bones XP system for your second snapshot. This will only take up about 3-4GB of disk space (maybe less). I would keep an archive of your main system in an off line location, say an external HD for better convenience. This way if you run into trouble its a matter of booting into the second bare metal snapshot and updating your main snapshot from your archive.

If you consider 3-4GB as "taking up too much space" then FD-ISR is not for you. :p

4. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

Yea, bit less. Hear, mine (xp pro sp2 basic + some main apps + tweaks & sqeezes) is 1.6GB.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  5. pinso

pinso Registered Member

Thanks for replying to this post and not making me look stupid. But i have already done that: you see that i have Win2000 installed on my Secondary Snapshot and an Archive on C:\$ISR\ itself as stated above due to lack of space. My other 30 GB Seagate is doing contineous indexing: i can't trust anymore.

Just restored 5 min ago, now i think i'll use FD for a long time.
    I have just given Drivesnapshot| Image for DOS: a little rest, having a Recovery Floppy Disc would eliminate the use of Secondary Snapshot. Hope you are seeing the picture....

6. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

what you would want to do, is use drive snapshot, and make a barebones windows image. if you already have several fdisr snapshots, you could exclude the $isr folder for the image making, if thats an option - this would keep the image size down to a few gigs at most.

when you need it, the drive snapshot rescue disk would be what you want to use. you would use it to restore the small barebones windows image you made and have safely put away on another drive. in a few minutes when the windows image is restored, boot up, open up fdisr, and restore your archives, which like the drive snapshot image, will be tucked away safely on another drive. youll be back up and running at most within a couple hours.

combine fdisr and traditional disk imaging for best results *puppy*

7. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Yup, just found out myself several days ago, that is a one-two punch that is hard to beat. :cool:

Acadia

8. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Yes, agree, excellent solution for almost any software foobar.
    Can use any recovery tool of choice with bootable disc/image recovery option

HW bork might be slightly more difficult process to recover.
    Despite my longstanding respect for BING/IFW, I am coming around to regard SP as the "easiest" HW ( Bare metal ) recovery option.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.