Is a hard reset on an iphone secure to “kill” a sphisticated malware attack like FinFisher

Discussion in 'mobile device security' started by WYC999, Jul 8, 2018.

1. WYC999

WYC999 Registered Member

The title pretty much says it. But again. Lets assume you have a government attack on an iphone and they use a spyware of the sophistication level of FinFishers solutions or alike does:

1. Updating to the newest version of ios
    2. Hard reset the phone
    securely remove the spyware?

1) i see more as a bonus question that is not really needed, but might generate useful insights too.

I would thank you for a careful but practical answer, since this question relates to some "moving parts" like: "Is it possible to load a "real" update from an infected phone, or will a sophisticated attack redirect those requests" and if there is something you can do to prevent this etc. or the question whether a hard reset really deletes everything or if the spyware can somewhat hide in "blocked" or wrongly addressed areas of the storage and so on.

On the other hand i do know that there never is absolute certainty and would be more interested in a "probabilistic view".

Thanks to the Forum!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.