Is a dedicated anti-dialer really needed?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by cello, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cello

cello Registered Member

Since I'm still on dial-up (hopefully only for a few months), I'm concerned with the dialer problem. I found that a-squared provides a free anti-dialer with real-time protection and I would like to know if someone had tried it and what you think about it.
    Is such an application really needed if I run a good AV and a good HIPS? Basically, on my old PC (AMD Duron700-256k ram), it is a waste of memory and CPU or it could help me avoid some threat?

My security setup is:

Antivir PE
    SSM full (thanks to givawayoftheday!)
    Jetico V1
    AVG antispyware and SuperAntiSpyware (both on demand)
    Web Browser: Firefox

Thanks in advance

Cello

2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I'd say with ssm running(and if you know what you're doing with it) i'd say a real time anti dialer is not needed.

3. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

Thing is , the more memory resident programs that you run, the slower your performance. if you down downloading and would have a fear of this perhaps you should seek out thing sort of program. As farmerlee said, if you have a HIPS software running and you use it well, you "should" be ok.

4. cello

cello Registered Member

I hope so.
    Actually, I never had such a problem; only once a maliciuos web site tried to download a program on my PC, but Firefox iteself noticed it and nothing more happened.

In a poor system like mine, I''l be OK with my setup. Thanks for your advice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.