Is a dedicated anti-dialer really needed?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by cello, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cello

cello Registered Member

Since I'm still on dial-up (hopefully only for a few months), I'm concerned with the dialer problem. I found that a-squared provides a free anti-dialer with real-time protection and I would like to know if someone had tried it and what you think about it.
    Is such an application really needed if I run a good AV and a good HIPS? Basically, on my old PC (AMD Duron700-256k ram), it is a waste of memory and CPU or it could help me avoid some threat?

My security setup is:

Antivir PE
    SSM full (thanks to givawayoftheday!)
    Jetico V1
    AVG antispyware and SuperAntiSpyware (both on demand)
    Web Browser: Firefox

Thanks in advance

Cello

2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I'd say with ssm running(and if you know what you're doing with it) i'd say a real time anti dialer is not needed.

3. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

Thing is , the more memory resident programs that you run, the slower your performance. if you down downloading and would have a fear of this perhaps you should seek out thing sort of program. As farmerlee said, if you have a HIPS software running and you use it well, you "should" be ok.

4. cello

cello Registered Member

I hope so.
    Actually, I never had such a problem; only once a maliciuos web site tried to download a program on my PC, but Firefox iteself noticed it and nothing more happened.

In a poor system like mine, I''l be OK with my setup. Thanks for your advice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.