Is a a/s program really needed w/ nod32 or kav/kis?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Crappopotamus, Jan 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crappopotamus

Crappopotamus Registered Member

Looking at some of the threads here concerning NOD32 and KAV/KIS, is an A/S program really needed with these two? I see some mention about if you have a hardware router (I do), and outbound program protection (like Windows FW) and one of the above that you should be just fine.

Comments on this?

referencing another thread, I've decided to go with either NOD32 or KAV/KIS from ebay instead of the free suites I have some access to..

thanks

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hello

Windows Firewall doesn't offer outgoing protection . It includes NAT , intrusion detection system and other techniques to block hack attacks .

As for the AS application , no , real protection is not needed because both include it . You can have but it is not needed . ESET even has antispyware certifications from WebCost CheckMark , I don't know what awards KAV has .

:thumb:

3. pipester

pipester Guest

I have been using NOD32 with the Windows firewall for about 7 months now and have been extremely pleased with the level of protection. No adware/spyware problems here since installing NOD32 Antivirus.

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i agree fully here,

dr.web with just a router firewall, no firewall installed on machine (well, apart from windows one)

safe, no problems at all :)

5. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

You should be fine.

Blue

6. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

you do not need any AS with either of kaspersky or nod....and if you are behind a router like me...then windows fw will serve you well...

7. Crappopotamus

thanks for the confirm, on the kaspersky question I notice that the Internet Suite has "anti-spyware" listed. Is that a separate module from the A/V or are they just labeling anti-spyware because the A/V DOES cover it?

Hope I made myself clear enough :)

8. Crappopotamus

Is there a way to configure the outbound portion of the WF to ask before allowing communication or will that have to wait for Vista (if you by chance know)?

9. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I think you'll have to wait for Vista.

10. Crappopotamus

I just found that on a search of the web, two way with 'advanced security' with Vista. Cool.

11. ASpace

ASpace Guest

We still don't know what Windows XP Service Pack 3 will offer but it may also has two-way firewall .

Kaspersky IS has firewall , ESET are currently developing new products , version of NOD32 , which is supposed to have two-way firewall , too :)

12. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I'd say you'd be fine with a hardware firewall, an AV and something to control outbound connections.

For example, firewalled router + nod32 + dynamic security agent.

13. Crappopotamus

I think I'm kind of leaning towards Kaspersky though because I can get it for $19 USD, verus Nod32 at $40.

14. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Yeah either one is great. If thats KIS then thats even better and will have you fully covered.

15. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

Yes,its anti-virus covers anti-spyware as well and there is nothing like a seperate AS module..

If you are getting KIS cheaper than nod..than you should go for it..without any doubt..

16. Crappopotamus

No it's KAV, I use only the freemail services except for personal communications and have no real problem with spam, so fortunately that isn't something I need right now anyway, and with a hardware firewall and the coming vista 2-way fw no need for the anti hacker I suppose either :)

17. Get

Get Guest

Free Spywareguard, Spywareblaster, the immunizepart of Spybot Search and Destroy and some free scanners (Spybot, Adaware, Ewido etc.) wouldn't hurt you to say the least.

18. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

You can get superantispyware for on demand just in case. Spybot serach and destroy and lavsoft are useless tools.

19. Get

Get Guest

So you're saying SAS catches everything Spybot and Adaware catch? (e v e r y t h i n g)

20. Crappopotamus

I picked that one up for $9.95 the other day and could not resist. With lifetime updates too. Very nice.

21. btman

btman Registered Member

Maybe spybot, but adaware will catch like 2 tracking cookies the others missed.

AVG Anti-Spyware, SUPER Anti-Spyware, A-Squared and Spyware Terminator are what I recommend for anti-spywares. Any 2 of those should have the Anti-Spyware department covered very well.

22. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

I think an AS program for on-demand scans once a month-or-2 is better than none, I use SAS and AVG-AS (both free) for on-demand scans, they never detect anything because KIS annihilates all that I have downloaded, but if i try to manually scan my Malware archive, they detect a similar amount of malware, SAS detects a bit more than AVG though.

Better to be safe than sorry still, both free as well.
    Not a fan of Ad-Aware and Spybot, they dont detect alot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.