Is 64bit windows more secure than 32bit?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by wearetheborg, Aug 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wearetheborg

wearetheborg Registered Member

Is 64bit windows more secure than 32bit? How much more so?
    For XP?
    For windows 7?

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

64bit might make it more difficult for some malware to infiltrate but by no means does it equal that with 64bit there will be no malware if not careful

3. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

I would say yes. For one, ASLR is much stronger on a 64 bit OS than it is on 32 bit. Also, one needs to have a 64 bit CPU for DEP (there are rare exceptions like some Pentium 4's but for the most part you need a 64 bit CPU). Then there's PatchGuard, which is exclusive to 64 bit Windows (for whatever reason).

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Yes and no. Yes in that, as said, certain built-in OS measures are beefier on 64. No, in that a lot of security software vendors either can't make their products as secure in 64 bit systems as they can 32, or, they don't even bother trying to be 64 bit compatible. (yes, I know, there's an argument that if the OS is more secure by default, there is less need for such software. I'm just tossing my 2 cents in.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.