IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by mikedavisonrio, Nov 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikedavisonrio

mikedavisonrio Registered Member

I got virus through an email. I was using avast. I was told by a friend to buy NOD32 because this is the best on the market. I did this and this morning I did my first scan. My XP Sp2 on a P4 3.2 HT found a virus -"unknown threat probably `something` heur" (I cannot remember the exact wordage) Send the virus to ESET. The send button was greyed out.
    Then I removed the virus, and restarted the computer,(as requested) All I got was the PC starting up and closing down non-stop. I started up the PC again in safe mode and got a message that said "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL STOP 0x0000000A"
    Ive never seen this before and this has something to do with NOD32, looks like it made the virus situation worse.
    What can I do to get round this problem, as my PC can't get past the Bios setup.
    Mike

2. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

You're infected. Try to start in Safe Mode and use the commandline scanner from your Nod32 and hope it's cleaned. Otherwise......format, I'm afraid.

3. mikedavisonrio

Safe Mode the PC stops. I cant get near to safe mode.:mad:
    So what your saying is that NOD32 does not work.
    Mike

4. Big Apple

I'm afraid you're badly infected and a format C: is the only option in my opinion. A lot of work, but..... Ever heard of making an image? I don't know what your computer knowledge is. But for now: format, re-install Windows and everything else. If you don't know how.....get proper help!

5. mikedavisonrio

:mad: Point taken

6. Big Apple

Good luck and I'm sorry I can't help you from here.....I live in The Netherlands.

7. cdr

cdr Registered Member

o_O I am wondering if Dr. Web Cure-It would be of help here. This suggestion might be completely absurd, but just wondering if anyone can help the OP with this. I don't know enough about dealing with virus infections to be able to say.
    Good luck!

8. Big Apple

He can't get his pc started up anymore. Perhaps with a start-up disk, buth then he would have to have Cure-it on his system.

9. Big Apple

Can you use a start-up disk? Or start it with a cd/dvd?

10. cdr

cdr Registered Member

:doubt: Ok, I got it. That is a shame. Thanks for the information.

11. anotherjack

anotherjack Registered Member

Mike - In the times that I've seen the "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" error, it's been hardware related, often times something on the motherboard got turned back on (in my case one of the onboard NICs). If you really think it's NOD that caused the problem, you can boot from an XP CD to the Recovery Console, then rename a couple of the NOD32 files that are loaded at boot. For v2.7 renaming C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32krn.exe and C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32kui.exe should at least take NOD out of the picture enough to see if that's the issue.

What makes you think that it's a NOD32 issue, except for the fact that it occurred after installing NOD and deleting an infected file? Do you recall the name of the file that was infected? It may be a case of a Windows system file that was infected, removed by NOD as it was uncleanable, thereby rendering your system unbootable. If that's the case, you may be able to restore that file from a non infected PC to get up and running again.

HTH

12. DavidCo

DavidCo Registered Member

anotherjack beat me to it.
    If you 'google' that error message you will find lots of possibilities.

13. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    That error message is usually related to a driver issue, faulty or currupted driver. Interrupt request in the memory when attempting to load the driver. Nothing to do with the old hardware IRQs like IRQ7 for LPT1, IRQ 11 for a NIC, etc. And I've not seen it happen relating to a virus either.

14. BBKing212

BBKing212 Registered Member

I had this error with outpost firewall. This error is most of the time driver related.

15. GAN

GAN Registered Member

How about trying the last known good thing or use a Windows CD and the recovery options instead of a complete reformat. Then you should be able to enter safe mode and do a complete scan there and to a windows repair installation. To be 100% sure your PC is clean i guess a reformat is the only way though.
    What would be useful to know is what files that was infected and what actions that was taken. If nod32 deleted a file needed for windows to boot maybe to replace that file could make the PC boot again.

16. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Nonsense it is not the best, actually Bit Defender and AntiVir own the crown.

17. Big Apple

This is all ok for an experienced pc user......if not.....format or get help!

18. SoCalReviews

SoCalReviews Registered Member

I have seen this problem also and it can be related to a hardware problem or a driver problem. The last time I saw that problem on a machine I worked on it was an incorrect jumper setting for a secondary IDE hard drive that was connected to an on board (on the motherboard) IDE RAID controller. Changing the hard drive jumper to the proper setting solved the problem. I have read that the "IRQL_NOT LESS..." problem can also be related to faulty RAM chips in which case you would replace the RAM. I am not saying that your problem is hardware related but you should be aware that this error message can be the result of many different problems. If your issue is hardware related then re-installing Windows or using any other software restoration method will not solve the problem.

There is a possibility that the virus changed or infected an essential hardware driver or Windows system file. (Hopefully the virus did not infect the boot sector of that drive). The preferred method to restore your system is to boot in safe mode to do a system restore. Make sure the virus is removed or you could be re-enabling or restoring the virus. If that doesn't work you can try to do a system repair using the Windows installation disk but you might find that this method has its drawbacks. If you can't repair your Windows installation and you have critical data on your hard drive that you need then another possibility would be to purchase a new hard drive and do a new installation of Windows on that new drive (after completely disconnecting the old drive). Make sure you have all the Windows updates done and then install your security software including NOD AV on that new Windows installation. Install some of the common free anti-spyware programs on it.

If your old drive that had the virus on it still works then you should be able to connect it to your system as a secondary hard drive. You will want to run a complete scan on it with your anti-malware programs including NOD. Scan it with NOD and then run as many online anti-virus scans as you can on that secondary drive. Then run a scan with all your installed common free antispyware programs on it like Spybot S&D, SuperAntispyware free, AVG antispyware trial, etc. After making sure that secondary drive is clean then you could retrieve your critical data from it for your new Windows installation on the new drive. Then you could format the old secondary drive and use it as a data drive or run backup software and use it for a system image backup.

If you have never done this kind of PC work then you might want to get the help of an experienced PC tech with this. This isn't that difficult to do this but it can be time consuming. Remember that if your data on that drive isn't that important you could just try to re-install Windows (and all your programs) on that same hard drive that is currently giving you Windows error messages.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  19. DavidCo

Mike
    Probably a silly question, but can you get into setup.
    Just trying to rule out the mobo.

20. SystemJunkie

This story is so outdated it´s only a deception trick, every freak outthere will high likely notice if ram is broken! Many guys like you wanted to make me believe that my Corsair XXL ram would have a problem, this ram is the best available and won´t even have a malfunction in 100 years. Don´t deceive and confuse people with irritating stories like that, focus on malware or driver problems.

Mike thats the problem don´t let confuse yourself by those ram junkies, I had endless timewasting warflames because of silly comments like above, focus on finding the virus nothing else counts.

21. SoCalReviews

SoCalReviews Registered Member

Hehehe!...Based on substance and tone of your reply we will have to take your word for it. ;)

22. DavidCo

This does not help Mike.
    Do you have data on the drive that must be recovered.
    Is it an oem PC that has a recovery partition on the drive or do you have a recovery disk of some sort or a retail.
    Can you post more data (if the recovery data is on the drive and the mbr is damaged then its back to vendor?)

23. SystemJunkie

Lol, I like to exaggerate to clarify the situation:D :cool: ;)

24. Nahaz

Nahaz Registered Member

I had EXACTLY the same problem and it did turn out to be a bad stick of RAM. People were telling me it was NIC drivers and others were telling me it was related to some NVidia crap. In the end I ran Memtest86 and found that 1 of my 4 memory sticks was failing. I removed the stick and all has been fine since.

Just goes to show you that this message could be related to a few things including some that you think might be impossible.

BTW - My RAM is CORSAIR :D

25. BBKing212

BBKing212 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.