IRC Chat for Wilders?

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by Tommy, Aug 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

I think it would be a nice idea to establish an IRC chat for direct help. Could be a further way to help instantanly in urgent matters.
    Opinions?

2. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Where would you find enough people willing to dedicate the time required? Answering forum posts is time consuming enough, and that has the advantage of allowing posters time to research and check their replies which the "instant answer" nature of IRC would not allow.

I could envisage this working on a commercial basis with paid helpers - but then how many of those with questions would be prepared to support (i.e. pay for) such a service?

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Exactly right. We've been asked about this a couple times in the past, and even considered it back when we were doing spyware cleaning services here, but ended up rejecting the idea.

As P2K pointed out, the biggest issue is staffing. Such a component would only be helpful for urgent matters if someone who could actually help was in the chat when the problem was raised. Add to that the issue that as chat scrolls by, valuable information is lost and only those there at the time really benefit. (Sure you could log chats and save them, but frankly, I've never been able to get into reading old chat logs. They're just too boring since so often there is a large amount of non-useful chit-chat between the few valuable pieces of information.)

So, it's unlikely that we'll be adding any form of chat here for the foreseeable future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.