iQunix - bare bone OS Ubuntu based.

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Ocky, May 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

iQunix OS

What you'll love in iQunix

In general you will feel the diference in iQunix when you will first boot in it's desktop enviroment
    Sleek and Fast Gnome desktop environment.
    Nothing is pre-installed as usually seen in other Linux distributions.
    You have the power of control to install anything you want to create YOUR desktop experience.
    Both Live CD environment and Install environment are included in just 400MB.

Less is better

After you install iQunix OS in your PC, you will get a minimum software stack that is required to make a functional desktop enviroment. Here is a list of what you get with iQunix OS:

Gedit -- Simple text editor
    Terminal -- For those who know the power of linux shell
    2Click Update -- A simple, yet intuitive system maintenance app
    Nautilus -- The best file manager to manage your files and folders
    Remastersys -- To make a backup of your entire operating system with all your installed programs
    Hardware Drivers installer -- To automatically detect you systems graphic card and wireless network card and install the apropreate drivers
    Synaptic Package Manager -- To install the programs of your choice.

You can immidiately start using Synaptic Package manager to install aditional software from the preconfigured repositories that are available in iQunix OS. You can add your favorite icons, themes and wallpapers from Gnome Eyecandies, OSarena.net Eyecandies, or from where ever you want.

2. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

They have downloads for both 10.10 and 11.04 versions. I'm downloading the 11.04 right now. Thought I'd give it a try. :).

Ocky,
    Dump Maverick and install Natty as a secondary distro. Lucid and Maverick are pretty much the same anyways. BTW, the Nvidia proprietary driver works great in Natty so nothing to worry about there. Might as well bite the bullet and start giving Natty an honest try, Secret Agent U308 (;)). It really isn't that bad.

Later...

Bob

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  3. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Its the exact opposite of Oz Unity. I suppose if you want to build your own system from the ground up, this is the perfect way to do it - if you know what you want.

I don't think its suitable for noobs. But for someone who already knows their way around Ubuntu, its perfect!

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Sounds great.. I'll have to give it a try this week. Thanks Ocky.... :)

5. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Great another Ubuntu-based distro.. So it's basically Ubuntu Minimal, but with more flesh.

6. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

Agreed. I fail to see what benefit there is in using this over an ubuntu mini-iso or debian netinstall.

7. Trespasser

I don't try every Ubuntu derivative that comes along but since it claims to be a "minimal" the spirit of adventure arose within me and perked my interest. You last two posters get that feeling once in awhile, don't you? I hope so, otherwise life would be so dull.

Later...

Bob

8. Trespasser

I just tried iQunix and it's not much. The default browser is epiphany but if you try to remove it, to be replaced with firefox, it also wants to remove gnome-core which in turn wants to remove about 40 or 50 other packages...just like Debian did when I tried it...:thumbd: . Also, even though I installed the Nvidia proprietary driver plus compiz, ccsm, emerald, and fusion-icon desktop-effects just will not function properly (possibly due to me using the 11.04 version).

Well, at least I gave it a shot. Nothing ventured nothing gained. I'll soon be CloneZilla-ing myself back to SL6 or Lucid...I haven't decided quite yet.

Just one person's opinion. Who knows, maybe someone else might like it.

Later...

9. Beavenburt

Dull is every other new distro being based on ubuntu. I can re-spin ubuntu with a different wallpaper and push it out as a new distro. Don't get me wrong I really like ubuntu and love to have choice but this trend of offering these spins that are nothing that can't easily be achieved with the original is getting quite tiresome, for me at least.

10. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

11. Beavenburt

:thumb:

That's more like it Ocky :D

A brilliant original distro that is truely "light"

12. Trespasser

Yes, iQunix was a dud but it could easily have been a gem even if it is an Ubuntu derivative. At least I had the interest to try it. A waste of time...yes...but sometimes it's a joy to try them as was the case with Zorin.

Later...

13. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I guess you just saved me the effort.... ;)

14. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Yes I get that feeling, but only if there was some originality and/or usefulness in it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.