IP Variation

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by John Bull, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

This question is purely for personal educational reasons only. There is nothing behind it whatsoever on my part except knowing the answer.

I am on Cable Fibre Optic Broadband, a direct connection. My IP is permanently fixed.

I have at present two programs on a 30 day trial period after which I either loose them or they go on the limited Free editions unless I pay up.

With Dial-up systems, I am told that the IP is different each time a connection is made.

As these trial programs presumably operate on IP recognition, whilst a fixed IP poses no problem, how on Earth do they handle variable IP`s ? It is a new enquiry each time.

It seems like a person with a variable IP can have the initial 30 days trial, then Dial-up and do it all again Ad Infinitum. Thus having a full program without ever paying for it.

John B

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Virtually no software that offers trials, gives a hoot about your IP. They install something on your computer that starts the clock. When clock expires game over.

3. John Bull

Thanks Peter, I understand the timing starts as soon as the program hits my computer and it goes bang in 30 days, but if nobody gives a hoot about my IP, then as my IP is all they have to link me with their program, what is to stop me doing it all over again and again in as many trials as I wish ?

Having a variable IP even makes it a nightmare for hackers and malware vendors to carry on a successful business. A fact acknowledged throughout the net security information available.

Actually Peter, I think that these companies care an awful lot about IP`s, it is the only piece of data they have from casual callers. Which of course brings me back to what I asked in the first place :- "With a variable IP, how do they prevent users having a continuous stream of 30 day trials for the same program, meaning the user has a permanent full program for Free ?"

John

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Peter is right, they don't care at all what your IP is. There are many other ways they use to achieve the result they want and limit you to a 30 day trial. IP means nothing.

5. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I've never seen software that tracks its license through the end users IP either. It's either a "timeclock" put in your system where you won't easily find it, or it may phone home to them and report in based on a "hash" that is created when you install it.

It wouldn't make sense for software developers to tie in a users "trial" with their software based on the end users public IP address from the ISP. Primary reason...just about all "home" broadband users are on dynamic IP accounts. Now granted many cable ISPs have quite a long "DHCP lease time", so you appear to have the same IP address from your ISP for months..even a year or so. But it's not guaranteed unless you specifically sign up for a "static account" from your ISP..which costs more money. And lets not forget the other 1/2 of broadband users...DSL. Which is very dynamic in IP assignments...frequently changing weekly.

And the IP address is far from the only information available to those businesses, when you visit a website...you'd be amazed at what information the web server pulls from your visiting session.

6. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Don't they log your MAC address, and use that as an identifier?

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Why would they do that? They can do things like read your HD serial which would identify your PC and store that in a remote database with the date, and then check online for example. There are other ways as mentioned above.

8. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Download trial. Disable NIC. Install trial. Keep NIC disabled. After X days, trial will say only XX days left. No IP because no NIC.

I cannot think of one trial software ever that did not have trial period count days regardless of if network existed or not.

Maybe some do want an IP or MAC address, but I doubt it would be for use in the trial period. More likely for data mining.

But, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It just means that I haven't seen it in my years of using such things.

Sul.

9. John Bull

Sully,
    The clock is totally irrelevant to the question in hand. All the clock does is go bang at the end of it`s setting. Something else which directly identifies either the user or the specific PC is present. I do not yet know what but hope some poster will explain.

When a PC connects with a website, the IP is the users identity, but there may be a spin off to some other transmitted data which in effect gives the unique serial number of the PC. This would remain constant no matter what IP is used. This aspect seems unlikely but possible and IF it does exist, I would like to know what transmits it and the data identifier.

There is nothing that I can see on an IP tracking output that identifies the user except the IP itself and an item called Remote Party ID. If the RPID remains constant whatever IP is used, then that is sufficient, but if it changes with IP then it is of no interest.

If the product vendors can detect a repeat user other than by IP, then as stated, some other data must be transmitted at website contact. If such a data element does not exist then all we have is IP and Email if given.

Surely the question is very close to home at Wilder`s. If a person is banned, what is to stop him changing his IP, Email address and name, then registering as a new member ? If you do not have the same method of checking that we are trying to establish - NOTHING !

It may seem a waste of time to some, but the issue is a very important technical point which amongst computer enthusiasts should not be dismissed lightly. Proficient technical people do not just say "I have`nt a clue" they come up with a firm conclusion.

John B

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

John

Once again you ask a question, and then argue when people answer, so I am going to answer again, and then close this thread.

1. You download a trial of a program. They usually ask for basic info like name and email address. This is for marketing purposes only.

2. You install the trial, and it sets something on the drive, or has internal coding to note when you installed. Clock counts off 30 days and trial is deactivated. Insert a purchase key, and that part of the code is bypassed. Many variations but end of story.

3. If you still don't get it re read the posts above the answer is there.

Pete

Thread closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.