IP Tracing?

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Comp01, Nov 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Hmm, I heard of a program called "Neotrace" supposedly, it traces your IP number, and can give out your address, phone number, a picture of your house, etc, I was wondering, is this true, or not? ... If it was true, wouldnt this be a GIANT privacy risk? :doubt:

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

No, that's not true in the least.

The only way to map an IP address directly to a specific person would be to contact the ISP that owns the IP address range (that the address is a part of) and ask who (what customer account) was using that IP address at a specific point in time.

Almost no ISP is going to give anyone (except for the legal authority within their country, given due process as it exists in that country) this information without a very good reason.

None of us can run a program that directly says that, for example: Paul Wilders is currently on IP address 10.0.0.1 ! And by the way, he lives at 13 Security Lane, (the gray house next to ZX Blvd.) Big Internet, EU.

In security forums, we often get people saying that "this person" using IP address a.b.c.d is harassing me. Can I find out their name and address so I can make them stop? The answer is no, you can't. But, given the proper circumstances the designated law enforcement people may be able to.

The best programs can do is map an IP address to the "range" that it is a part of, and then using WhoIS information map that range to the local area specified by the ISP that owns the range.

3. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

Hi Comp01,

Neotrace and VisualRoute and similar apps are GUI apps similar in nature to the command-line traceroute tool, which will show (or try to) the ip and hostname of each hop between your system and the specified "target" but includes information about the domain registration info for each hop. So if someone does a traceroute or neotrace or visualtrace of your IP the info that they would get would be no more than the public IP of your PC/cablemodem/dslmodem, and the domain registration for your ISP which can be very vague indeed.

There is far more exposure when you have a small business that has a domain registered, then there is more useful and targeted info. Most users do not need to worry about this.

Hope this helps,

Dan

[late edit - Looool! I knew that LWM would beat me to it!]

4. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Well, I downloaded the Trial of NeoTrace Pro, and, actually, it uses Microsoft TerraServer to get sattelite images...

5. JayK

JayK Poster

satellite images wow..so "bigbrotherish" or "Enemy of the statish"

6. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

:) Hello Everyone!

I have a dynamic IP which means a different one assigned to me everytime I logon to the 'Net. I have used IP tracing apps, including Ethereal. It only tells me what I already know, giving the address of my ISP (which is huge).

For those people who are being harassed by a specific IP, their best bet is to make a formal complaint about it, in writing (preferably by snail mail), with all details of time and processes to the ISP. ISP's usually have very specific rules about abuse. It is possible to get results with patience and perseverence.

Many freeware apps and services are available to help you with connectivity and traceroute purposes. I'll see what I have in my bookmarks and post it. :)

7. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

:) Hello again!

Here are some more tools to help you.

This one is an international resource: http://www.traceroute.org/

Simply excellent! ;)

8. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.