iolo system shield

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by david banner, Feb 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. david banner

david banner Registered Member

Hope this is the right place:eek:

Has anyone tried iolo system shield?I have seen it free on a magazine with a year free updates. It is new to me and can only find the above and one old theread about here.Could one trust a PC to it?

2. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

I would not trust them with anything. I could write a book on their poor programs and even worse customer service. Find another alternative.

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

A book isn't necessary but -- please give us one or two specific examples of "poor programs" by Iolo folks.

4. Bunkhouse Buck

System Mechanic 6 & 7.

5. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Agreed. These products do a little bit of not much.

The AV is based on the old F-prot engine. Frisk have moved on and no longer supports the product. FW looks pretty but not sure about its functionality.

6. bellgamin

There are LOTS of reviews of SM when googled for such. Here is a typical one...

Of 33 customer reviews of SM6 at Amazon, 8 reviewers gave it 5stars (best) whereas 24 reviewers gave it 1star (worst).

I checked several other reviews. I didn't find any that gave SM high marks.

Further, I downloaded Iolo's 1-year free antivirus. It doesn't directly download the AV. Instead, clicking on the free offer got me an Iolo downloader app. When I activated that downloader, my HIPS (Prosecurity) started popping-up like crazy. That should NOT have happened because I wasn't installing Iolo AV, I was merely downloading the installer.

When the download finished, Tiny Watcher showed that the downloader had set up several files in Windows documents&settings folder, plus had made registry entries. To repeat -- I never installed Iolo AV. All I did was download the AV's installer. Such being the case, it is totally unacceptable to me that Iolo added files to my computer's docs&settings as well as registry.

I immediately restored a pre-Iolo image to get rid of all the unwanted stuff that Iolo had silently stuck into my system files & registry.

And now... a poem:

~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Iolo? Iolo?
    No! No! No!
    No! No! NO!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

7. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Sounds like one to avoid.

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I had pretty good experience with System Mechanic. Their latest versions are a little too clutterred with everything but in general it worked pretty well whenever i tried it. I first tried it when System Mechanic 4 was released and later tried all their versions except the very latest one...

9. Bunkhouse Buck

Why did you ask me to provide "specific" examples of bad programs if you already knew that? If you didn't know that, you got educated quickly dealing with their products.

10. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Must be your PC as SM 6 ran as smooth as silk on mine. However, the early release of SM 7 was poor (loads of press about that) and as a result most people did not upgrade or so I hear tell. Anyway, Iolo have recently release SM 7.5 which is an altogether different beast to the original release, and after trialing it I have upgraded...and it is running like a peach on my PC (in fact better than SM 6). Only hiccup is that it seems to be unable to recognise that KIS 7 is installed.

I have reported this and been advised that it is will be fix very shortly.

IMHO a very good product that does what it says....however, as all PCs are different I would strongly recommend downloading a trial of any such application, including System Shield, setting a restore point and trying it out.

11. bellgamin

Your brief reply to my question (post #4: "System Mechanic 6 & 7") lacked any supporting information. Posting unsupported/anecdotal negative reports is no more helpful than unsupported positive reports (aka "spam"). That prompted me to do the research of SM (Google is a splendid tool), & also give their AV a trial.

12. Bunkhouse Buck

I have not noticed the majority of your posts with supporting evidence of any kind. You seem to be a forum kibitzer.

13. Bunkhouse Buck

You may be right, but I use other programs now that do a better job and are much faster.

14. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Nah, he's just an ole fart that needs a shave o_O

Seriously tho and to no one in particular, let's make the iolo system shield discussion productive for all and drop the personal innuendos Please.

Thanks,
    Bubba

15. bellgamin

:D

As to ISS -- maybe someone with a small trove of nasties will test it. Elsewise, we are grasping at straws.

P.S.- Per Bubba's comments, I shaved>> babyduh.jpg

16. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Care to elaborate on what you use as have an open mind and am always interested in things that "...do a better job and are much faster";)

17. Bunkhouse Buck

I use Avira Premium AV (fast and light and one of the highest detection rates in the business), WinPatrolPlus, Prevex 2.0, CCleaner, and some other utility programs we developed in house.

18. Ngwana

Ngwana Registered Member

I cannot fault ISS, but have a few problems with IOLO.

1. Ever since System Mechanic 7 iolo runs 'some hidden' processes that may constantly trigger HIPS software or some Behaviour blockers.

2. The other thing is an attempt to build a database of other security products to 'check' what else is installed in your PC but for some reason the database does not include some of the most well known or popular products.

3. Besides a database of other security products iolo has a database of 'illegal serial numbers' for Iolo products. Anyone trying to use such a registration code will see a PC frozen and will never work unless re-installation of OS is done. I do not condone use of stolen or illegal registration codes but Iolo 's policy is not welcome.

Well you could try it and if there is no issue you may use it as you wish. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.