iolo Personal Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by QBgreen, Jan 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

From iolo (of System Mechanic fame) comes a stand-alone firewall. To my eyes it looks remarkably like McAfee's older product bolstered by some of iolo's own technology. Have a look: http://www.iolo.com/fw/1/

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

anyone try the firewall yet? Stem?

3. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

It is a basic application based firewall, with the ability to set services/ports for use. There is an option for "IntelliDefense" which checks applications, and will compare to a database if that application is a threat etc. I did not enable this feature, as I prefer to chose myself, and did not want the firewall attempting to connect out, but, even with this options disabled, and the auto updates disabled the firewall is making a lot of unauthorized regular outbound connections to svc.iolo.com (Various server IP`s 216.246.12.2**), certainly not something I personally like. But anyway,...

Rules for firefox:

Attached Files:

4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

There are the options to allow certain ports/services or to enter user ports. I did not like the defaults settings at all in this area, as most default setting where to allow inbound, even on such ports as HTTP. I have change the defaults, and attaching just a small section of the included filter rules.

Attached Files:

5. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Unacceptable behaviour in my book.

6. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Checking my own logs, the firewall is connecting out every minute,..... as I have no options checked for any outbound (updates ets), and no rules in place to allow this outbound, then it is certainly not something I like to see.

I cannot find any logging within the firewall to check if these events would be shown by the firewall.

Any other info required before I remove this firewall?

7. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

They need to explain the reasons for those connections and provide ways to disable hard-codec rules.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.