Involvement of FOX-IT in OpenVPN

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by ComputerSaysNo, Feb 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. happyyarou666

happyyarou666 Registered Member

meaning exactly what mirimir , ive red the entire thing , and the ridiculous comments on the age old discussion what can be used for good can be used for bad topic , booooring , lols, anyhow that was an interesting insight on tors devs spreading the good word , dont matter if law enforcement or your next best journalist , walmart employee etc , what the guys from tor say is true , tor should be used by more people , it protects peoples privacy if used correctly, but this thread isnt bout tor so lets keep it OT ;)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  2. popcorn

popcorn Registered Member

As far as I see, it so long as IPv6 is disabled in all forms there's no real difference between this and the last few versions :eek:
    Quick disclaimer - I may be totally off the mark here and if this is the case i stand corrected.

3. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Popcorn... actually there were a lot bug fixes that make 2.3.0 more stable. People were having lots of problem with the TAP adapter namely... right from the getgo. It wouldn't install right for lots of people, or at all. Then trying to remove the bad install would sometimes kill their LAN along with it. And not just crashes of OpenVPN, but entire boxes (BSOD's) would sometimes result. It's happened to me. I actually fall into the latter category of someone that isn't doing anything too sensitive that'd be me in trouble. I simply value my privacy and don't like the idea of "the man" seeing what I do, just to spite them. But I'm not doing anything shady. And I haven't had any problems since installing the new version. So it's a welcome upgrade to me.

Also they've introduced a new crypto engine, Polar SSL, which seems quite promising, and some even think could replace OpenSSL entirely at some point. So lots of changes, both under & above the hood in this version.

I do like that palatinux mentioned GNUTLS as the best crypto engine (agreed), as the way they should be going in... whether Polar SSL is really vulnerable like they claim or not, I believe that is an insightful viewpoint.

4. linp

linp Registered Member

My post is not meant personally , i read your comment about christine karman,so i realize you are somewhat critical as well.

5. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

I just thought it funny, that's all.

6. happyyarou666

happyyarou666 Registered Member

oh i see , lols, agreed

7. popcorn

popcorn Registered Member

Thanks for the explanation :thumb:
    Ok I stand corrected ;)

I personally have never had a problem with any version, obviously I want to employ the latest and greatest in all my softwares if possible.
    I'm also just an average citizen trying to protect my rights and privacy, I ain't whistle blowing or selling state secrets (yet :p ) but the harder the powers that be try to monitor, log, and track the harder I wanna kick back.
    At present OpenVPN and VPN use is increasing - people are realizing there privacy is under attack and running a VPN is a way to protect themselves . This is has gotta be a PITA for the state surveillance "company's" to say the least and more likely a BIG problem, after all whats the point in spending all that money and committing all the resources they have only to be stopped at the door by those pesky VPN's.
    To me it's perfectly logical to expect that VPN's and OpenVPN are/will become a major target of the "man" and the surveillance industry.

But and as with many other things we need to place our trust somewhere, I cannot audit code I can only rely on others to do this for me and I do trust in them.
    As you have said previously this will probably turn out for the good as the code no doubt has been double/triple checked and checked some more since these allegations.

8. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

FWIW, AirVPN isn't too worried about it. Somebody who's a customer, email Mullvad and Bohele and see what their opinion is.

PD

9. luciddream

I imagine everyone's take is probably about the same: show me the code, or GTFO.

Yet, if you're noided about it and doing things deemed sensitive, then that's your prerogative if you wanna use an older version, or different client altogether.

10. luciddream

exactly. And also I don't buy that if the accuser actually found an exploit/backdoor that they'd sell it to the highest bidder instead of proving themselves right. Ego/pride is more important. Or better yet, perhaps the opposite is true and they'd want to HELP people out with the best intentions by making them aware of the existence of such a thing.

I also found those comments kind of hypocritical, as an admin at OpenVPN pointed out. To speak of the integrity of the product and preserving people's privacy... then in the next breath say you'd sell the exploits if you found them instead of making the public aware. That's just not right...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.