Invisible tray icon

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Blackcat, Nov 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Installed PG and tray icon was clearly visible in Learning Mode Green. But after the recommended 2 reboots, no icon appeared in the system tray, although PG was up and running as judged by both System Status and Process Guard Status in the Main GUI. In addition, there was a ‘space‘ in the system tray for the invisible icon! ( see attachment ).

After numerous reboots, tray icon was still invisible, so I uninstalled and went through recommended procedure again. This time all seemed well; the blue icon was seen and remained in the tray.

However, on booting up this morning, the tray icon was now invisible again. Checking taskbar properties>customize>current items, I noticed that there was no Blue icon for the PG entry, just a yellow folder! However, on rebooting all seemed well again and the usual blue icon was now in the current items folder.

But subsequent reboots, have made the tray icon invisible again.

PG is protecting my system but I would like to see the Blue icon in the system tray!

But, when I disable PG, the icon with the red cross through, is consistently SEEN in the system tray.

I am using WinXP and SP2.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2004
  2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Blackcat, I am not sure but I believe something like this has happened to another user, unfortunately I cannot find the information about it ATM. It may have been to do with screen resolution or GFX settings.

Hopefully Jason will be able to shed some light on the problem, no pun intended :)

Pilli

3. Blackcat

Hi Pilli, thanks for the reply.

I have been playing about with this visible/disappearing tray icon for an hour or so this morning.

The appearance of the Blue PG icon in the sytem tray seems very random. It will apppear, stay there throughout several reboots, then disappear again on the next reboot o_O

At one point I thought that my AV splash screen on start-up was the cause as the PG icon seemed to stay in the tray when I disabled the splash screen. But on a recent reboot the PG icon has become invisible again.

This is not a major problem, as long as PG's protection stays on in the background.

4. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

Maybe they could inlcude an option to do it voluntarily :)-)

Ruben

5. bestcd

bestcd Registered Member

In my case it happened because I'm using McAfee Antivirus Enterprise Edition.
    I installed patch version 09 and the problem was fixed.
    This patch can only be obtained by paid subscription to McAfee.

BestCD

6. Blackcat

Hmmm, interesting. Thanks for posting bestcd ;)

My computer with this problem also had McAfee 8.0i installed.

I disabled Buffer Overflow Protection in this AV and did a fresh install/uninstall of PG. The problem disappeared. I put it down to the clean install again! Now I know better.

I am now fully patched and no more disappearing PG icon.

7. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Good news, thanks for reporting back. Pilli :)

8. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

I have this same trouble with the invisible PG tray icon when logged on a secondary account on XP SP2 (ie. I've installed XP SP2 and the default account is created. I then create a secondary account to be used for my Internet account). Normally this secondary account is a Limited account and is used for Internet access, however even when this secondary account is given administrator privileges the tray icon is invisible.

Further info:

- I installed PG under the default account.

- PG is already active active as shown by Task Manager.

- If I double-click on the PG Desktop icon the tray icon becomes visible.

EDIT: - I'm running KAV Personal 5 and AdAware SE/AdWatch.

9. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Defenestration, You can only see the ProcessGuard GUI in the account that it was installed into ie. one with administrative right. However, ProcessGuard is still active in the other user accounts and these accounts will still see ProcessGuard alerts.

HTH Pilli

10. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

I still think the tray icon should be visible under any account, so there is a visual indication that PG is running.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.