Invisible Proxy/Firewall , WTF ?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by LukaszJ, May 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LukaszJ

LukaszJ Registered Member

Hey

Lately i discovered my computer acts like its behind some firewall/proxy. Well it's not. I read somewhere that it may be because of malware changing your proxy settings but i checked that/run spybot etc and its clean. My ISP doesnt use any proxies either. Windows firewall is turned off. F.e. when i tried to log on yahoo msngr it said it couldn't log me on cause im behind a firewall... Any other ideas ? I run windows xp pro sp2 with all latest patches.

2. LukaszJ

or could anyone link me to some board where i could find help with my problem.

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

4. LukaszJ

Hmm yahoo is just an example, I dont really care for it. Its just my d/l speeds in certain software is very low and is reported like im behind some firewall.

5. tkc

tkc Guest

6. LukaszJ

I dont see any of those there. Does it mean theyre blank ?

7. tkc

tkc Guest

i think u can assume it to be so. as for your low connection speeds in certain software, it may not be a firewall, but the limitation of the number of half-open connections in winxp sp2. this may be true if u're using file-sharing software.

to verify u have this problem, goto control panel -> admin tools -> event viewer -> system. look for event number 4226. if these exist, and they are recent, they'll affect the download speed u are getting.

<-----usual disclaimer applies for the following step----->
    to fix this, goto http://lvllord.de/ and download the patcher to patch the file to a higher number. u can repeat the above steps to verify that u are no longer limited by the number of half-open connections. remember that the original purpose was to slow down the spread of worms so be careful of what u patch it to.

8. LukaszJ

I have alot of those :/.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.