Invisible keylogger

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by H3ATH3R, Jan 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. H3ATH3R

H3ATH3R Registered Member

there is an invisible keylogger on my computer, but i don't know how to find it or use it. how do i find the keylogger?

2. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

well then how do you know its there in the first place if you cant find it?

3. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I can't speak for H3ATH3R, but frequently when one suspects there is a keylogger on their computer it is because someone else knows things that only a person reading private emails would know. That would be one way.

4. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

What have you done so far to look for it? What scans have you performed?

5. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

Well there are a couple of government projects that aim at developing an invisible keylogger, such as Magic Lantern. The AV industry is split over this; some detect it and some whitelist it. Norton whitelists it in corporation with the US government; however they aim to be able to detect intentionally mutated or hijacked versions used by hackers illegally.

Read this:

http://community.norton.com/norton/...&thread.id=4867&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

Also, keyloggers don't have to be installed locally on your computer. Your ISP could also be spying on you from their side. Or someone could be spying on you ... from inbetween you and your ISP.

"Hi,

Note that Norton works locally in the computer. Policeware installed on an internet service providers network to intercept emails and log communication will not be detected by any antivirus/firewall software installed on your computer.

For anything running locally on the computer it is as davecole said.

jAW"

Kudos to jAW

6. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Software keyloggers can usually be detected via various scanners. Hardware keyloggers can't. But the upside of that is you can visually check for hardware keyloggers yourself. Just check the back of your tower and see if there is something inserted inline on the keyboard cable, as illustrated below...

Attached Files:

7. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I agree. And it is even less covert than that. The vast majority of commercially available keyloggers are not detected by AV's and AM's, and the developers will be the first ones to tell you that. The only program I am aware of that targets this niche group of keyloggers is SpyCop.

8. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

zemana will catch it or keyscramble wii defeat it too,try this or snoop free:thumb:

9. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

Just curious. Is one of your goals in finding it is to use it?

10. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

But not if it is a hardware keylogger. ;)

11. denniz

denniz Registered Member

Reformat your harddrive and reinstall your operating system, if it's a software keylogger, then this will solve your problem.

12. TechOutsider

Hopefully your ISP's got ethics.

13. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

I wouldn't count on that, perhaps encrypting important business email and using personal certificates makes a lot of sense for anyone these days! Besides E-mail is simple text, which can be intercepted by anyone anywhere in the transport chain. Without encryption the government or your boss or the coworker in next cubicle might be reading about all your weekend exploit with your pet hamster!

14. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Hardware keyloggers would hardly be secure unless they fashioned some way to wire it wireless internally and then hidden from users who never open their boxes.

I can take a really old keylogger for those who can remember 98 days (works on XP) named Tikl=TinyKeylogger and use the rootkit agony and hide it on my own machine for the most part invisibly. Tested it. It can also be renamed anything so that gives it additional stealth and agony being a rootkit simple issue some commands and Presto! disappearing act.

Now i don't have any interest in experimenting with it on but my own machine or research purposes and i have tools that can X-Ray * detect it anyway, but i'm sure theres more stealthier modern software keylog techniques that could shuttle right into a machine via a website but i haven't seen one yet that could use archaic IE even with it's holes to slither into my machine, but then i've had years of collecting them then implimenting them on myself and following their progression.

I will say this, there is no rootkit or so-called invisible keylogger that can ever evade ERD Commander. If some one discovers one that magical that would be a feat even Hudini couldn't pull off, and we all know his sad demise when he thought to challenge the inevidible law of nature named Physics.

EASTER

15. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

This can also be achieved by IR/radio spying, bugs, private investigators, stalkers, psychos, echelon, MitM, social engineering, bizz competitors... this isn´t necessarily reduced to keylogger attacks.

Exactly.

16. TechOutsider

People using cable internet are at higher risk; there is one cable that links you and the rest of your area's subscribers to your ISP.

Now, with DSL, everyone has a direct 1on1 connection to the ISP.

As for the ISP as a whole, there could be employees that spy on you.

As for hardware keyloggers ... isn'y your keyboard a keylogger ;)?

Hardware keyloggers can be internal; you could keep your computer locked up in a drawer ... and your keyboard.

As for software keyloggers, see if you notice any unusual slowdown; I installed PCPandora on my computer and whoa ... there was quite a slowdown.

And I often run various online scanners for a second opinion.

Hello, are you there? Is this a general discussion about keyloggers or should we turn toward removal?

17. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Think so. Likely it is even possible to destroy or corrupt the keyboard with malware. AFAIK Keyboard has its own firmware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.