Invalid sn and build 1461

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by Maxwel, Nov 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maxwel

Maxwel Registered Member

When I attempted to install build 1461 over an older one, PE insisted that I uninistall it first. Afterwards its said that my sn was invalid. Build 1429 had no problem with the SN. I was able to install build 1461 on another machine with this sn. What's the problem? Build 1456 has the same problem.

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

are you able to re-install build 1429?

Just trying to work out if you have an installer problem, or if registry or XP is confused.

Colin

3. Maxwel

Maxwel Registered Member

Yes, I could reinstall 1429.

4. werne

werne Registered Member

Same problem here. I had installed build 1461 and later uninstalled it. Now when I try to install it it states "The serial number is incorrect. Please enter the correct number." I went back to my products updates page and it lists build 1461 as being registered and gives me my serial number for it. Now it won't install with that serial number. However, as previously mentioned build 1429 will install with it. Build 1456 has the same behavior as build 1461. I mention those as they are the only ones available for download on my products updates page. These are all upgrades for version 8 of PES but unfortunately it is not available for download anymore to test and I had deleted it. So exactly how does one reinstall PES 1461? It is obvious that anyone else would be in the same situation. I see only two solutions: (1) an easy one involving registry keys (I guess easy for some if Acronis provides the solution) or (2) Acronis provides updated keys one their products Web site to everyone who has upgraded (a lot easier than emailing everyone with the new keys). As far as the last part goes, I believe Acronis has an obligation to proactively solve this rather than waiting for each individual to report a problem and fix them one by one (making everybody send it the several reports required, most of whom will give up at that point). So, request that Acronis do the right thing and upgrade the serial number of PES 1461 for everyone on the products update page. That way Acronis knows that all the customers are qualified and elgible for the upgrade and they solve everyone's problems at the same time. Of course, that depends if Acronis even reads this particular forum, as they haven't been very active here (months possibly years between official answers). Menorcaman, as a concerned Global Moderator, I hope that you could send this message personally to Acronis because they don't seem to be very good at listening to us users (at least in the PES forum). Thanks.
    Acronis please Read.

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Werne,

I've never upgraded Acronis Pivacy Expert but if it's anything like True Image or Disk Director Suite, once you have uninstalled the application, you need to enter the S/N of your old version followed by the S/N of the version you are upgrading to. Have you tried that?

In the meantime, I've PM'd Acronis Support requesting that they view this thread.

Regards

6. werne

werne Registered Member

The problem here is that the old version is the serial number of the new version. I.E., the version 8 serial number was supposed to work in build 1461. That version of the SN is the one that Acronis has on my products registration page for build 1461 (current build). I also own version 7 of the program and put that in anyway but it didn't work (and I didn't expect it to). Also that seriial number [version 8] has worked in the past - for some reason it doesn't work now. Plus, there are 3 versions of the program listed on the Acronis Web site: 1. build 1461 2. build 1456 and 3. build 1429. Build 1456 behaves the same as build 1461, but guess what, build 1429 does take the one and only serial number. Unfortunately, you cannot update the program. If you try and install build 1461 over build 1429, it will not install and states the you must uninstall the previous build and then of course you are back to square one again. Thanks.

7. werne

werne Registered Member

Further thought, I'm aware that the program cannot be further updated for malware updates directly on the internet. There are previous threads about this on this forum. But they all conclude that you can still use the program for its other purposes (deleting files, drives, etc.). I've got a feeling that this timeout of the malware update ability (obviously to encourage you to buy a new edition of the program which is the clumsy way that Acronis has figured out to get you to basically subscribe for malware updates [new edition just means new software key that allows the malware detection updates]. This now interferes with the version 8 software key to even install build 1461 without the malware update ability.

8. werne

werne Registered Member

And yes for those interested, I do use PES for the other functions (deleting cookies,wiping files, etc.) and do not intend to upgrade further. I use a freeware utiltity for detection of adware and malware programs. Of course, to use PES 1461 for those other functions, you actually have to be able to install it. :D

9. werne

werne Registered Member

Proposed solution for Acronis: comb your database for all registered users of PES 8.0 (all of whom are eligible for free updates to PES 9.0 build 1461 per their public statements) and issue new product keys that allow installation but not downloading of malware updates from the program. That way Acronis fulfills their promise to PES 8.0 owners and allows them to keep their revenue stream intact for those wishing to obtain regular antispyware updates. :thumb:

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Maxwel and werne,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Internet Privacy and Antispyware Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Note that Acronis Privacy Expert has the subscription based licensing and the subscription expires in 12 months. This means that each 12 months the user has to renew the license in order to be able to continue using the product and to receive free updates for the software. The expired version of Acronis Privacy Expert is able to perform Malware Scan (Malware Removal function disabled), Malware Definitions Update and create Bootable Media.

As werne mentioned you should still have the ability use the serial number to install the Acronis Privacy Expert Suite 9.0.

Therefore, could you please provide some additional information so we could investigate the issue and provide you with a possible solution?

- Create a screen shot of the installation step, which shows the serial number entered and the message about invalid serial number;

- Create Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

- Send us you purchase information (i.e. order number, purchase e-mail, serial number etc.).

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  11. werne

werne Registered Member

In thread "How do I completely uninstall PE 9.0?"; I state that I uninstalled all my Acronis products (TI, DD and of course PES). Then I completely wiped all references to Acronis from the registry using regedit and changing permissions for those items requiring it. After I did so, then for the heck of it, I tried reinstalling PES 9.0 build 1461 and was able to do so. I guess it was a registry error of some sort that was the problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.