Invalid Script file?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by trydit, Nov 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trydit

trydit Registered Member

My event log gives me "completed successfully" for my weekly differential back-up but also tells me I have an "invalid script file".

Can anyone tell me what this is all about please? What do I need to do? Am I getting a valid back-up with this error?

...any help appreciated!

2. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

I suggest you recreate the script on the basis that it is corrupt or in case your hardware or other configuration has been changed in the meantime.

F.

3. trydit

trydit Registered Member

Foghorne,

Thanks for your swift reply! I'm going to need a bit more help if that's OK as I'm no expert at all of this.

You say "I suggest you recreate the script on the basis that it is corrupt or in case your hardware or other configuration has been changed in the meantime."

How do I recreate the script (I'm not sure what it is!)?

The only hardware change I have made was to plug in an iPod and download iTunes.

Thanks.

4. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

The “script” file is what gets created when you set up a task.
    Foghorne is suggesting (forgive me if I’m wrong) that you delete the existing task and then recreate the task.

5. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Yes. Thanks TheWeaz. That is what I was suggesting.

F.

6. trydit

trydit Registered Member

Thanks to both for the responses. That's helpful.

I will recreate my task ...the weekly differential backup.

Creating it again won't have any adverse effect on my ability to restore my files etc? I think all I do with a "differential" back-up is to restore my original full back-up plus the latest differential back-up file?

Thanks again.

7. TheWeaz

“Creating it again won't have any adverse effect on my ability to restore my files etc?”
    No.

I don’t use DIFFs, but I believe that selecting either the FULL or the DIFF should present you with a series of dates from which to choose. You can always step through a restore and see; just don't hit Proceed at the end.

8. trydit

trydit Registered Member

..thanks. I'll try a restore at some time, as you suggest without the final "proceed", just so that I can see it all work OK.

I would be interested to hear why you use "incremental" back-ups and not "differential" back-ups though...

9. TheWeaz

“I would be interested to hear why you use "incremental" back-ups and not "differential" back-ups though...”
    Where did I say that? :D I usually stick to FULL backups.
    A series of INCs, by their nature, should be smaller than the same series of DIFFs since the INCs contain only new changes. The DIFFs will contain a lot of redundant changes. INCs should also take less time to create.

10. trydit

trydit Registered Member

...sorry re-reading your reply, you didn't say you did DIFFS! ...you do FULL back-ups.

What's the best advice? DIFFS/INCS take less space than FULL back-ups and are quicker ..but a FULL back-up is much more reliable and complete but takes longer. Have I got this right?

Your experience here would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

11. TheWeaz

Only you can decide what’s best for you after you define just what your needs are as far as retention cycle as such. How far back would you like to be able to go, how much disk space for storing backups do you have, etc?
    I have 9 scheduled tasks, all Full images.
    One each for the 1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd and 29th.
    A Weekly each Sunday.
    Then three more, one each on Mon & Thu, Tue & Fri and Wed & Sat.
    Once these 9 images are created, they just cycle through and get written over.

12. trydit

trydit Registered Member

Wow! Your back-up is much more comprehensive than mine! Is it easy to get the full back-ups to over-write each other?

Do you schedule your back-ups at a time you are not on the PC or doesn't this matter?

I've got a 300 Gb external drive so have lots of space. I think I'm going to go for more frequent full back-ups like you!

13. TheWeaz

“Is it easy to get the full back-ups to over-write each other?”
    Yes, I don’t have to get it to do it, it just does. :D

“Do you schedule your back-ups at a time you are not on the PC ... ”
    Yep, but if needed, they can be run manually whenever I want.

14. trydit

trydit Registered Member

That's great. I'll give it a go. Thanks for your help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.