Invalid operation system

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tomgomes, Feb 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomgomes

tomgomes Registered Member

Hi
    I am running two Win XP in the same HD and so I have a dual boot. My issue is that when I boot, appears a warning : MBR Error 3. But the two lines to boot, in the system1 or in the system 2 was ok.

Then I used .iso SXdisk.exe from acronis to boot with it, and so repair the MBR Error 3.

I do itr and after this boot, the screen told me to press the key <enter> to repair this MBR Error 3 boot displayed. I do it, and now I have a new warning:

No commands for booting operation system.
    Press any key to reboot.

Invalid operation system.

Then I can't boot. Can someone help me?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Are you using DiskDirector and or OSS as well?

The MBR3 error can be caused by OSS.

If you have an XP CD, then booting into the console and running fixmbr should work.

Colin

3. tomgomes

I have an XP CD, then I tryed to boot into the console but I get the message: Invalid Operation System! Starting the CD....
    And all remain stopped.
    This PC is Tohsiba OEM and if I use the Tohsiba installation CD , it don't has the R for the console. There are only two options. Reinstall, and erase the hard disk.

4. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

That is strange, the XP recovery environment is held in RAM with a small file placed on the hard drive. Do you have access to either a Linux or VistaPE boot environment so you can see what is actually on your hard drive at this moment.

Is the XP CD of the same type as the Toshiba one? By that I mean if the Toshiba install is XPpro is your XP CD the same?

If you have your Toshiba XP product key and your XP is of the same install type, you can try the following. Boot the XP CD, choose install, and once the setup program has checked for other instances of XP you should see two options: Install XP and Repair XP. Choose Repair and the installer will wipe out all XP system files re-install them and then rewrite the boot sector - you will need your product key and on reboot it will require activation.

You will also lose any service packs, but all your installed programs will be available to you.

As the MBR will be rewritten, there is the possibility that if there is a Toshiba recovery partition, the reference to this might be wiped and won't work again.

It might be worth checking with toshiba if they have a command line utility that will rewrite the MBR back to their specification. If you don't have a system/recovery partition on this machine, which as you ahve a Toshiba CD may well be the case, you have no worry.

Colin

5. tomgomes

hallo
    bodgy

I have here a friend that has the cd installation with the menu console option. At night I will get it to fixboot and fixmbr. I will win.
    Thank you

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello tomgomes,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

Download special Acronis utility from this link . Use it to create a floppy and boot the machine from the floppy.

If you prefer to a fix MBR using a CD, then please download special Acronis utility from here. Use it to create a CD and boot the machine from the CD.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

7. tomgomes

I receiver an email reffering to this thread that says:
    This thread is located at:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=233115&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:
    Hello tomgomes,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image ( http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/ )

Download special Acronis utility from this link (http://download.acronis.com/support/mbrautowrite_en.exe) . Use it to create a floppy and boot the machine from the floppy.

If you prefer to a fix MBR using a CD, then please download special Acronis utility from here (http://download.acronis.com/support/mbrautowrite_en.iso). Use it to create a CD and boot the machine from the CD.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev
    I can't undertund. Tie message ins'not here. Could someone explain me what is doing?

8. tomgomes

Now I see the message. But I already this procedure. See below. I told:
    I am running two Win XP in the same HD and so I have a dual boot. My issue is that when I boot, appears a warning : MBR Error 3. But the two lines to boot, in the system1 or in the system 2 was ok.

Then I used .iso SXdisk.exe from acronis to boot with it, and so repair the MBR Error 3.

I do itr and after this boot, the screen told me to press the key <enter> to repair this MBR Error 3 boot displayed. I do it, and now I have a new warning:

No commands for booting operation system.
    Press any key to reboot.

Invalid operation system.

Then I can't boot. Can someone help me?

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello tomgomes,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

Do you have the archive image of the system? You can recover the system partitions.

Thank you.

--

Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.