Invalid License Code

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by HelpFromFrance, Jun 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HelpFromFrance

HelpFromFrance Registered Member

I just decided to buy ewido 4. So i paid, they sent the license code really quik, I entered it, and voilà, I was on paid version 4 plus. it looked so good. Then ewido went to update and it said "invalid license code". And reverted me to the free version! :mad: At least before I had 20 days left on the trial now I have nothing!!! Anyone have any ideas to get back the rest of my trial or how to sort this out.

I have written support and so far have not heard back from them.

Thanks,
    HelpFromFrance

Last edited: Jun 29, 2006
  2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Have you attempted to re-enter you 4.0 Activation code with the program open on the Status tab :doubt:

3. HelpFromFrance

Bubba,

Yes in fact about a dozen time or more and each time it accepts the code, says I am registered and have the plus version. On the status screen it says 4.0.0172 Plus, then the instant ewido tries to update on the update page it says "invalid license code" & reverts back to the free, I don't even have the trial anymore.

Don't know what to do. Still no answer from ewido support. It must have to do with the updates, because it is at that moment that it "unregisters"

Thanks,
    HelpFromFrance

4. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Hi HelpFromFrance,

Two process are involved in the license key validation process. When you enter the code BEFORE you connect to the internet and perform an update, the program will check your license key if it is of the correct algorithm. If the algorithm is correct, it will accept your key and it will give you a plus version. But at this stage, it will NOT show you the correct expiration date, since it has not yet check with the server on which date your current license begins. Also, at this stage, BEFORE you connect to the ewido server, the ewido program will not know if your license is valid or not, even though the algorithm is correct.

For example, there happens to be some key generator for some antivirus software. It can generate a key according to an algorithm. But of course, the generated key will never has a record on the ewido server. When the ewido program checks your key against the record on the server, it will know if your key is valid or generated from some key generators. So without connecting to the server, the program itself will still accept your key if it is of the correct algorithm.

Then the 2nd process begin. When you perform an update, it will check your license key against the record on the server and see on which day your license begins. For example, if it is the first time you enter your license key, it will count it as your first day. Ewido count license on first install, NOT from the date of purchase. If you first used the key on 1st Jan 2006, your expiration date will be 31 Dec 2006.

I think there is a problem with the server, since when I performed an update, it says: ERROR: Failed to connect to server update.ewido.net. It seems that the server is down and when it cannot validate your license key against the database, it simply says that your license key is invalid. I am not sure if it is the case, but you can try entering the key some time later.

As far as I know, they will only make your key invalid if there is a known problem with your license, for example, your key was available to the public at some crack sites, but it should not be the case.

So, maybe you can try your key sometime later when the server is up again. ;)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2006
  5. HelpFromFrance

Chubb,

Thanks for that very precise and clear explination. I just tried an update on my "free" version and it updated. I then entered the code and it did as you said and acepted it and activated the "Plus version" So I had all the options, shield, scheduling etc. I then tried to update again and it came up "invalid license code" and reverted back to the free version. So it would seem that the serveur is working for updates, but I still can't get it validated. Beginning to get frustrated. o_O

Thanks,
    HelpFromFrance

6. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Hm...They have a problem the day before on the server, that's why we all got no update for the whole yesterday. I were able to perform an update after exiting ewido and restart, which is strange. It seems the update server is now up, but the license server is still down, and since they were unable to validate your licence, they just make your license invalid. Maybe Peter and Vinzenz is busy with the servers and see if they will give you an answer some time later.

But I was curious. If the license server is down, they would also unable to validate my license and make my license invaid, but I didn't get that. But since it is the first time you enter your license key, there may be something wrong. Maybe you need an official word from Peter or Vinzenz. ;)

7. HelpFromFrance

For the moment here is my plan while waiting for ewido to get their act together. I have entered the code, so I can have the shield active. I have turned off automatic updates, so it won't turn back to free version without me knowing it. I will update manually from time to time and then be obligated to reenter the code until ewido gets this fixed. What a pain in the :doubt:

Keep the help coming,
    HelpFromFrance

8. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Yes, it is the only way at the moment. Another member just found that he got only 23 days for trial after installing ewido.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=137196

It seems there is a severe problem with the server. See how it is going tomorrow. Hope they will fixed it very soon.

9. HelpFromFrance

Chubb,

Thanks again, someone once said "smile :D things could get worse, so I smiled and sure enough things got worse :eek: " I know that in a few days this will all be over and done, but for now it is frustrating. At least I am protected for the moment or I think I am.

Have a good day,
    HelpFromFrance

10. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

Maybe not for your case since you have a new key but keys for the older versions have to be used to generate new keys using http://www.ewido.net/en/upgrade/ . I had this problem and the page worked great for me. Like I said though probably doesn't apply for your case but might help some other users.

Thanks,

Chris

11. HelpFromFrance

Chris,

Thanks so much for the thought, I did try that though and it does not generate a new code. I tried copy and paste and tried typing it in and still not luck. I am thinking that chubb has the right idea, just when will they get their act together, that is the question.

Thanks again,
    HelpFromFrance

12. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I hope you can take comfort in the fact that ewido has not had a bad record of server issues. Even with that fact....I'll help share your pain and offer another :D for good luck :D

Keep the faith,
    Bubba

13. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

@HelpFromFrance: Can you please send me your license code in a PM? thanks! :)

14. HelpFromFrance

Peter,

It is done.

Thanks in advance,
    HelpFromFrance

15. HelpFromFrance

Bubba,

You are always there to help and bring a smile and bring a word of comfort. That means a lot! :thumb:

Thanks,
    HelpFromFrance

16. HelpFromFrance

Peter,

Thanks so much for getting it working!!!! You guys are trully wonderful!!!!
    :D :thumb:

HelpFromFrance

Last edited: Jun 29, 2006
  17. rikofold

rikofold Registered Member

Having the same trouble but the PM system isn't working at the mo. Is this a general problem or just some codes not hitting the database?

Anyway would welcome an admin from Ewido to contact me to get this working.

Ta
    Rich

18. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Are you using an old key bought in the 3.5 days? Then convert here:http://www.ewido.net/en/upgrade/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.