Intrusions?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ahinterl, Jan 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ahinterl

ahinterl Registered Member

I have a ZyWall 2 Plus in bridge mode as perimeter protection (blocks all incoming connections) and since one week Outpost Pro on my XP laptop.

From time to time, I get intrusion alerts (port scans) from Outpost's attack detection.

I investigated a little and the originating IP addresses are registered by ISPs like AT&T and savvy.net for instance.

I now wonder how this can happen at all since the ZyWall should block these attempts. The ZyWall doesn't report any incoming connection. I've not activated the intrusion protection and antivirus module on the ZyWall because I didn't subscribe to the services yet.

The network is pretty simple, but contains a WLAN backbone (bridge traffic secured by WEP) and only two access points (WPA2 AES PSK encryption and MAC filtering). Neither of the access points shows any connection from an unknown host, and in addition I live in a building far away from potential intruders...

Time to switch to a Fortigate?

Andreas

2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

There is an ongoing issue with false reports from outpost of "Attacks". I would not change the router, I would either change software firewall, or wait for an update.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.