Introducing Total Defense Antivirus - v10 Beta

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mayahana, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Esse

Esse Registered Member

Hmm, why not a free simple antivirus only solution to help build up the cloud database?
    After all, they are not exactly known as a antimalware solution to the masses.

:thumb: for a free version, to get things moving :)

/E

2. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I think they should scrap it. Rename it Untangle-Endpoint Protection, with new logos, and interface, and focus on the endpoint and/or aficionado marketplaces. I do not believe they will get much penetration in the general consumer market with this as you point out. Untangle has a stellar reputation, why not use that and apply it to a well constructed endpoint?

Possibly even offering endpoint management app within Untangle, or a bundle deal.. Say $50 a month for Untangle (as it is now), or $60.00 a month if you want 1-11 endpoint licenses to go along with it. That to me makes more sense in terms of where to go with it.

3. Esse

Esse Registered Member

You mean something like Sophos does with their UTM? I think you get like 10 endpoints for free with their UTM solution, even the free one.
    But I never saw the real benefit in using the same (almost) protection twice in a row, first on the UTM and then on the endpoint.

/E

4. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Gateway scanners often use different technology than endpoint, and it's considered layered security. Gateway also doesn't have reputation/insight/dna types of systems (typically), while endpoints do. For example McAfee Gateway catches a lot of things their desktop product doesn't even notice. Same with Kaspersky Gateway, Kaspersky Gateway is a flow through (stream) packet inspection technology, while the desktop is mostly signature file technology. I have Bit Defender Gateway on my front end, and I can tell you that the technology is different, and catches different things.

If Untangle did this, they'd have a pretty solid layered technology.

5. Esse

Esse Registered Member

A couple of years back when Untangle ditched Kaspersky for Commtouch, witch at the time sounded like a bad idea.
    At least it did to me, I did remove the Untangle solutions that I had set up before, as the detection's dropped.
    I did suggest to Untangle making a move to the Loman brothers at Surfright, testing their HitmanPro UTM solution.
    Sadly the Untangle rep in the forum did mixed up the Malware scanner with their UTM solution, and did not quite understand the benefit of what the Hitmanpro crew had created.

/E

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  6. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Kaspersky Gateway is actually my preferred solution other than Fortinet. I don't find Bit Defender's Gateway solutions to be as effective as I expected so I wish they'd move back to Kaspersky, which has improved considerably since they singled an agreement with ZyXEL. Even McAfee gateway would be nice, McAfee's gateway stuff is pretty promising these days. I agree though, they should discuss with HMP their gateway solution.

Right now Bit Defender+ClamAV is OK, but not my preference. It does pick stuff up coming in, but not to the level of Kaspersky UTM.

7. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

I'm still cheesed off that I even after numerous emails to the CEO, I never did get the promised free 12 month subscription after actively reporting many bugs in the version 8 (or was it 9) beta program.
    Mind you the release version was really horrible so maybe I was better off without it.

If any AV needed a reboot it was Total Defense (ex CA).
    Many organizations I worked for and with in the '90s ran VET. Even after Roger Riordan sold it to CA, it was still "up there" as one of the most useable apps for protecting Windows PCs for many years.

Maybe they can turn it around, but with so much really good free stuff around today, I reckon there's a dwindling number of people who really want to spend their money on something they don't necessarily have to.

8. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I agree.. Although I feel this v10 is a step in the right direction, I don't think it's a turn-around.

They have the potential to be a real player, I am not sure why they don't take it an extra mile? Money?

9. Mirjalovic

Mirjalovic Registered Member

very buggy.

can't get their tuneup feature working because it has something to do with active-x

10. TDI

TDI Registered Member

Hi Mirjalovic,

Yes, The PC Optimization feature requires active-x. Please send a screenshot of the error message to beta@totaldefense.com and our developers will gladly assist you.

Thanks for your assistance.

11. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Apparently they've isolated the CPU spiking, it seems to impact Win 8/8.1/10 users, and they are going to issue a fix.

Overall I think this product has potential, I hope they rework the interface, and improve the URL blocking. One of the weakest aspects I found was it simply didn't block any malware websites, and I feel that component is required in modern AV's as a general principle. While it has solid signatures, and what appears to be a pretty good reputation system. Also the different interface for the optimizer was off-putting to me.

I'm going to guess TDI is Mr. Neary from Total Defense?

12. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Big Beta release on this today - major improvements!

Some Key Improvements in this beta 3 release include:

• Improved product performance
    • Reduced Memory used for idle systems by 10%
    • Reduced Memory consumption over 30% while running full scan
    • Fixed cpu consumption issue with the RTscan process when system was idle
    • Faster on-demand scans…in some cases over 100% improvement
    Z-Day Defender Reputation engine improvements
    • Enhanced the alerts to inform the user between Potentially Unwanted Applications (PUA) and malicious software
    • Additional configuration for finer control based on category type
    User Interface enhancements
    • New Scanner UI providing additional status info during the on-demand scans
    • Updated look and feel for PC Optimization
    Signature File Update
    • Smaller update package size results in faster downloads

13. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

ill give it another try this week it was WAY to heavy on my systems before saw the spikes but also it pinned my i7 a few times to where the system could not even function. hopefully this new version released will be much lighter since it looks like it could be very nice. will report back. most likely will install wed afternoon (im off wed :eek: i have a minor surgery, vein embolization in the left leg, and ill have some time to mess with it since i have to be off wed and thurs. / begin rant, i wish i could find some competent people willing to actually DO WORK. :ouch: im back to me and one other person i had to let 2 people go last week for just sheer job laziness, sorry /end rant)

14. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

That's the nature of 1099, revolving door. Very small operations can't afford the talent, but need talent. It's not an admirable position which is why I gave up on it, and started working for 'the man'.. But the 'man' can afford big salary, benefits, company cars, and other stuff so I am tolerant of other issues. Good luck with surgery.

15. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Version 10 has launched. Has anyone tested it?

I just got a link to complete a survey on the beta.

16. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Still garbage.

10% of CPU used 100% of the time with spikes in the 20-40% range constantly. Uninstall is dirty, leaving 1200+ files.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.