Introducing Refresh Windows on-demand option

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by boredog, Feb 2, 2017.

1. boredog

boredog Registered Member

Attached Files:

2. Martin_C

Martin_C Registered Member

@boredog :
    I think that it makes pretty good sense that this new feature gets placed in the new Windows Defender Security Center.
    So often will the reason if users has problems in Windows, be that their system has been run with third-party security products / system utilities at an earlier point in time.
    Uninstalling the third-party products usually leaves behind drivers, tons of remnants, changes to an endless number of system settings.
    Resetting Windows back to factory default will not help, because OEM image includes the third party security product. So you just end up with it again even if you didn't want to.
    But with this feature that you mention in your link, the user can download and install a completely clean Windows 10 directly from Microsoft with the entire OS running smoothly as it was intended to and start clean.
    With that in mind, I think it makes perfect sense to place it in the new Windows Defender Security Center.
    It's a way to differentiate between resetting to OEM default or to Microsoft default.

3. boredog

Martin

I am a bit confused. The web page link says "It will also remove Windows Desktop apps installed by your PC’s manufacturer such as your manufacturer’s apps, pre-installed third-party anti-virus software, and support apps" My screen shot words it a little misleading. It says all apps that came preinstalled would remain.
    I am guessing the screen shot wording means all MS installed apps. It does it will remove office and so I won't be trying it, because even though the company I was working gave me access to install it on 4 more machines, I can't remember my login for the site to install it again.

4. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

You probably can use Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder to retrieve the product key, which you will be able to use to reinstall Office.

5. boredog

roger

I have office 2015 installed at present. that site shows 2010, so not sure it would work. it was set up at work where you go to a web site to download a new copy and get a new serial number for that copy. It downloads and installs right from that web site. you get an option to download the program. and so if I had to reinstall office, I would have to log back in to that site. I am sure I wrote down the info and brought it home. that is how I installed it on my home pc.
    I hope this made more sense.

6. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I believe it should work. It won't hurt to try anyway.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.