Introducing AX64 Time Machine - hybrid imaging/snapshot software

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Isso, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Isso

Isso Developer

Mohamed,

For C10000A error - I'll address it in about 7-10 days when we fix the current issues. I'll contact you then, thank you!

2. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Yeah, done that several times too. No problems so far.

3. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Thanks Isso,

No rush.

Best regards,

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ok, thanks. I really like the software. What is your road map? I mean when we should expect a beta and then finally a stable version.

5. Isso

Isso Developer

Thank you aigle. The current roadmap is as follows: beta in the end of February, first stable release in the end of March. This may slightly change depending on the testing results.

6. Feandur

Feandur Registered Member

Looking forward to the release !

-cheers,
    feandur

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Good to know. I noticed that if you do a hard reset of your system, the next incremental Image takes a lot of time.

8. aladdin

Dear Isso,

I haven't been able to test your program so far, so I have no idea what it is. Can you have a look at this program which I own the PAID version.

http://www.keriver.com/oneclick_free.html

Best regards,

9. arsenaloyal

arsenaloyal Registered Member

Looks like a good program...unfortunately I cannot test is as all my systems have SSd's as primary dive :(

10. aladdin

Rollback Rx uses software RAID for TRIM to work in SSDs, I wonder what Isso uses.

Best regards,

11. Isso

Isso Developer

That's right, it will make the next incremental slower, because after a hard reset (or power failure) it needs to scan the entire drive to make sure the incremental is built correctly.

12. Isso

Isso Developer

Dear Mohamed,

I used to test Keriver 1 click, and it looked to me as a very stable and easy to use program. Internally it seems to have quite basic imaging implementation (thus the stability!).
    Main disadvantage of its simple algorithm is slow creation of incremental backups. Compared to Macrium that has more advanced implementation, Keriver creates incrementals much slower.

So Macrium has more progressive backup algorithms compared to Keriver.
    AXTM has backup implementation similar to Macrium in speed, but it adds a very important feature - fast restore. I.e. AXTM is able to restore with the same speed as an incremental backup creation.
    This feature none of the competitors has. And it's actually far more complex than fast incremental backups.

13. Isso

Isso Developer

software RAID? Sorry, I don't quite understand what does that mean, i.e. for RAID you need a second drive, no?

We handle SSD just like ordinary HDDs, but we take into account that TRIM requests may be sent to SSDs (purging their contents). This makes SSD handling quite complex, but at this point it generally works ok, we just have a couple of issues to fix.

14. aladdin

Dear Isso,

I don't know how to explain this. One of the SSDs I have is Intel M520 SSD. It has a Toolbox, which one can run and clean the TRIM or something. When I installed Rollback Rx, I couldn't run this command from the Toolbox, it gave error that the SSD is in RAID mode. I took screenshot of this and posted both on this forum and Rollback Rx forum. The cat was out of the bag.

Pretty soon, Deep Freeze implemented it program to run on SSDs. Since, I had lots of problems with Rollback Rx, they refunded my money. See my post #59 on page 3 of this thread. Then I bought Deep Freeze, and the Intel Toolbox gave the same error that SSD is in RAID mode.

I tried to find the screenshot on this forum, but it was very long ago. I cannot install Rollback Rx again, due to the fact the trail period is expired. However, I can re-install Deep Freeze and take the screenshot again, if you need to see this.

Please let me know?

Best regards,

15. aladdin

I am not sure, it appears the TRIM doesn't work in RAID, but at the same time it appears that TRIM is on.

Best regards,

16. Isso

Isso Developer

Mohamed,

I guess all they do they just disable the TRIM by pretending that SSD is in RAID mode (Windows doesn't support sending TRIM to RAID drives).

If it's true, then it's quite dirty way to enable SSD support, because it will significantly decrease SSD life.

17. aladdin

Dear Isso,

I believe you are correct. See my above post #140. But when one checks if the TRIM is enabled, then it show it to be enabled. So, I am not sure if it is enabled or not enabled?

Best regards,

Mohamed

18. Isso

Isso Developer

Oh yes, just noticed it :)
    If it's true, I would never advise anyone to use these programs with SSds. I'll try to figure it out while doing compatibility testing.

19. aladdin

Dearest Isso,

I have full faith in you.

Best regards,

Mohamed

20. Isso

Isso Developer

Thank very much my friend :)

Sorry I missed your question:

If the drive appears to be in RAID mode then it doesn't matter if you have TRIM (i.e. DisableDeleteNotify) enabled or not. Windows doesn't send TRIM commands to a RAID drive.
    I guess I know why they disabled the TRIM in such a wierd way rather than setting DisableDeleteNotify value. It's because anyone can re-enable TRIM back and their software will malfunction. But with fake RAID you have no control over TRIM any more.

These are just guesses, again I'll try to come with more informed analysis later

21. aladdin

Very true. You should check out the latest v10 of Rollback Rx on their forum and see how HDS is treating their most loyal customers. They are going to lose customers en masses. Hopefully, you will be able to attract most of their customers.

Best regards,

22. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

Yikes!! I didn't know that about RAID and TRIM! Nasty stuff!!

Isso, come to our rescue please!!! ;)

23. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

24. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

It is true and it is a very dirty way to disable it (same as with changing the extension of winRE.wim to winRE.dat).
    But I don't know if it has that much impact in the ssd life, since their write redirection technic does not allow to writing very often in the same cluster/sector. For sure it has a big impact in the performance of the ssd though.
    They could deactivate trim by setting the reg key
    "\HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ FileSystem\DisableDeleteNotification" to "1" but this would deactivate it for all drives.
    Your guess is probably right.
    Plus with the soft Raid method the customers will not complain about trim being disabled, since it's not (just not working on their system ssd).:D

ps. The other way around would be to make the snapshots and the hidden filesystem visible (as e.g. dat files) but would make their system more vulnerable to attacks and the users would realize that the snapshots are not so small and cause huge fragmentation (something that they deny for years now).

Panagiotis

25. Jim1cor13

Jim1cor13 Registered Member

Well said Mohamed, I agree 100%. AXTM has the potential as it matures to be a very well balanced and fast image/snapshot backup/restore solution that is truly needed. It is a complete yet simple solution, and in my opinion, it is the simplicity and quality that can indeed find a very nice target audience...perhaps frustrated HDS customers, etc. The market is there and this product can fit extremely well into BOTH imaging and snapshot style solutions. With the restore speed along with full recovery ability, I honestly do not think there will be any problems finding the customers.

You have my full encouragement and support Isso.

Your attention and support with addressing current issues has been excellent. Good job! :)

Jim

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.