Internet Security Suites

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by kes32, Jan 10, 2017.

1. kes32

kes32 Registered Member

I am looking for a change in Internet Security software. I am currently using a trial of F-Secure which has Safe Banking element. I am not really very experienced so would like someone more knowledgeable to clear up a point for me...... Does the green 'Safe Zone" which appears to be a feature of F-Secure/Kaspersky//ESET/Comodo etc. actually give better protection for banking and shopping or is it just a 'cosmetic' thing ?
    I use internet banking frequently so would appreciate recommendations and advice please.

2. guest

guest Guest

I'm not sure what do you mean with the green zone, I know comodo for example and it doesn't sound familiar.

What do you want to achieve in particular?

Usually the banking "safe zone" is a browser in a sandbox which is isolated from the rest of the OS, so ideally malware can not go from your computer to the browser and viceversa. The typical usage would be to access to your bank account and purchase stuff over internet. Any of the products you mention (I think) have this feature but Comodo is free.

BTW here is forbidden to start discussions of which AV is better but we can guide you to the features you need a recommend which products have them.

3. kes32

kes32 Registered Member

Thanks for your response. I understand the point you make in your final paragraph.
    I simply want to be as safe as possible when doing online banking. As you can probably appreciate, my knowledge level on the subject is not high so thanks again for your post.

4. guest

guest Guest

Well I will make you 2 propositions, one very easy and another one a little bit more complex.

EASY: If you have the money, buy any security suite, almost all of them will have the features you will need to be safe
    Here you have an extensive test of the performance of several products:
    https://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php#

https://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/avc_prot_2016b_en.pdf

if you don't have the money:

MORE COMPLEX (IMO is better): some people will suggest you more layers but to keep it simple basically all you need is:
    • Firewall: Install comodo firewall (wihout the AV) and disable the HIPS and the SANDBOX
    • Sandbox: you will use Comodo sandbox on demand to use the browser for banking or shopping. You can try as well the free version of Sandboxie
    • Antivirus: any free av will do the job good choices taking into account the AVC test would be Avira, Bitdefender or Avast just to name a few that have a free version
    • Antiexploit (specific surface of attack): Malwarebytes antiexploit beta
    • Antiransomware (specific protection, optional?): RansomFree by Cybereason or Appcheck
    • Additional layers of protection or second opinion (optional): Crystal Security, VoodooShield or SecureAplus
    This is just a personal recommendation and my opinion of what you can do, it doesn't pretend to be an extensive list, I may have forgotten products or intentionally not mention other layers of protection for it complexity or redundancy.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2017
  5. itman

itman Registered Member

I believe you are referring to the "green border" around a web page display? This is just a visual indication that the browser is running in a "hardened mode."

For example, Eset's Online Payment Protection runs the browser under its own kernel which itself is hardened in that it runs with System privileges and is loaded at boot time using Win 10's ELAM feature.

You can review banking protection lab test results here: https://www.mrg-effitas.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/MRG_Effitas_Online_Banking_Certification_Q3_2016.pdf . Note that many of the products tested now have newer versions. So use the report as an approximation to current level protection offered.

6. kes32

kes32 Registered Member

Very many thanks to both CompTIA and guest. Info and links particularly useful and informative.

7. guest

guest Guest

You are welcome, just one more thing if you decide to use SecureAplus (SAP) remember to disable the local AV on it (ClamAV), the cloud AV of SAP is more than enough and much better.

@kes32 So I am curious, what do you plan to do?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2017
  8. kes32

kes32 Registered Member

Unfortunately I don't have the expertise to try your non-suite options and cost is not an issue so I have downloaded trial version of Avast IS.

9. idaho

idaho Registered Member

Try Emsisoft Internet Security and you will like it.

10. itman

itman Registered Member

I believe the OP wanted a solution that has an Online Banking feature. EIS does not.

11. kes32

kes32 Registered Member

You have given me a bit of a challenge and I have a laptop -clear of all AV etc and I will attempt to load your suggestions. If I am successful I can do the same with my PC.

12. guest

guest Guest

The more complicated part is the Firewall and Sandbox because you have to customize the installation Comodo and change a few settings, the other 3 bullets are just install and app and forget, and the last one is optional.

13. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Because it's good enough at keeping the machine clean; and when you're that you don't need safe zones or wtf you wanna call them.
    All these components most security suites include now are rubbish bloat to hide intrinsic flaws, to carry spyware or simply for publicity purposes.

14. guest

guest Guest

Then is easier than that, you just need a simple free AV without any additional feature or protection layer.

15. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

If you know what you're doing Ublock and a daily scan with MBAM is enough (or uBlock and Linux).
    If not Emsisoft, because it's effective but not bloated.

16. guest

guest Guest

Avast IS, which he is trialing or with the free version you can choose what modules to install I don't think is bloated at all.
    I wouldn't recommend a "novice" user to have as the only active protection unlock in the browser and daily scans with MBAM, if I understood you well.

17. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

You didn't, that's the scenario of an experienced user; it was my set up for close to two years (with some variations on the browser part) until I went full Linux.

18. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Just curious, what you didn't like from the FS's "safe banking" feature that makes you to look for another software?

19. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

20. kes32

kes32 Registered Member

Unresolved issue with security on one of my banking sites.

21. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Thanks. My guess is one of your banks website does not trigger the banking protection feature?

22. ankupan

ankupan Registered Member

Norton Security or Quick Heal.......... Both are good and very light on system.

23. kes32

kes32 Registered Member

Anyone tried the Trend Micro internet security ? I understand that has safe browsing under the password manager function.

24. ankupan

ankupan Registered Member

I tried this and having its license also.

But like Quick Heal first than second choice Norton only.

25. kes32

kes32 Registered Member

Does QuckHeal need any additions e.g.. Malwarebytes or is it ok on its own.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.