internet security installation size and updates

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by lodore, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I have seen this discussed recently and I do wonder what people think of it.
    I will not discuess vendor names.
    I will discuss the following:
    size of installation package
    size of fresh installation without logs.

Installation package can range from 1mb as an online installer to over 500mb as an offline installer.

fresh installation without logs can range from less than 200mb and be over 1gb.

If most companies can have an installation size of 200mb then surely the other companies could do some code optimization to hugely reduce their installation size. it is funny how quite alot of the vendors who give big claims about how the cloud reduces the load on your computer yet use more disc space than some non cloud products.

Just because Hard drives are bigger doesnt mean devolopers should get lazy and waste space. if you get a small solid state drive for your OS you do not want to waste the space on a security product.

2. er34

er34 Guest

Hi, lodore! Thanks for bringing this to people's attention.

Some people claim that the size is not important for them if the product doesn't seem to slow them down. But this is not true,IMO. As you say either developers get lazy or they are incapable of making the products smaller, or their business decision to keep it big is wrong. In all ways, as some can make small tiny installers and provide almost excellent protection, then the others should be able, too. And when the installer, the program and the updates are all bigger, huge, this will for sure cause some negative performance (noticed or not) - at least this is more data being transfered for no reasonable reason :)

The smaller = the better. Keep it as simple as possible, and voilla - this would be perfect ! :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.