Internet Privacy Tab Compromised

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by asadjalil, Sep 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asadjalil

asadjalil Registered Member

Hellow Dear Friends,

I am facing a problem with my Internet Explorer of Windows Server 2003. By Mistake there was a virus intrusion which made my internet explorer privacy settings set to low ( Accept All Cookies) now when ever I set it to high level. The Slider goes to low after next reboot. I want to make it normal to its default value so that it can slide where ever it is set to. Can any one help?

Best Regards,
    Asad

2. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

It sounds like something in your PC is performing an automatic reset to low for the browser. It is most likely a browser hijack malware. I would go to another tech support site like castlecops to let them search your system logs to see what infected your PC.

3. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Registered Member

4. crikt1

crikt1 Registered Member

If this is still happening after you have cleaned your system, check your active x controls and add ons under the programs tab in IE Options Box. If you are unfamiliar with what should be there, you can disable your active x and add ons one at a time, restart IE and try to set Privacy back to your desired level. If you find the culprit disable or delete it.
    Or, you can do the same process in reverse: reset IE under the advanced tab. If you reset it, it will disable all add ons and active x and return IE to its default state. You can then go back and re-enable the controls and add ons, one at a time (until you find the one that makes it reset to low) and then reset your security preferences, cookies, pop-up blocker and advanced settings.
    If you find it, block it, so it can't come back to haunt you.

5. asadjalil

asadjalil Registered Member

As I checked my system for infection or viruses I found vundo and downloader trojans.... Now those infections are removed from the system. But there are some enteries which were made in the IE by these viruses, which caused Internet Explorer Privacy Slider to move down to accept all cookies. This entry is made some where in Internet Explorer registry settings where Privacy level is handled. There would be a small line which invokes on next reboot and sets the privacy to low level automatically.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.