Internet Options disabled in Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by BobDobbs, Mar 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobDobbs

BobDobbs Guest

I can no longer access Internet Options thru Internet Explorer. How do I fix this problem?

2. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi BobDobs, and welcome to Wilders.

There are several programs that will allow you to lock IE's settings.

In SpywareBlaster, under Tools-->Misc. IE Settings tab, if you have placed a check in the box beside "Disable the IE Home Page settings area in the Internet tools Control Panel", then yes, you will not be able to change the Home Page. Just take the check out of the box and you will be fine.

Does that help at all?

snap

3. snapdragin

Another possible solution is if you are using Spybot Search & Destroy, and have chosen to check the two options at the bottom of the Immunization page, those options will also lock the homepage and Internet Options to prevent users on your computer from changing them. See this sticky thread on how to change that in Spybot Search & Destroy: Un-locking your browser's home page.

If neither of the above helps, then you may have had your browser hijacked. Then the next step would be to follow the instructions Here for downloading HijackThis and how to post your HijackThis log so one of the Experts can analyse and advise you what to fix.

Regards,

snap

4. Digimon

Digimon Registered Member

o_O
    Greetings Y'all;
    I ran into the same thing when I install 'Blaster. I found that my homepage was locked out and when I went to surf to a new site , Explorer just closed with no messages at all.
    There is no "Uninstall" for this prgm. and now my IEX doesn't work properly.
    So, I have installed a better Browser. and all is fine unless I wish to use IEXplorer.
    Caio.4 now

5. snapdragin

Hi Digimon and welcome to Wilders.

Did you un-check the box as mentioned above in my first post?

This is strange. I wonder if something on that site you surfed to had something malicious hidden on it. I have used SpywareBlaster with IE5.5sp2 and IE6sp1 for 2 yrs now, and have never had my browser 'just close' unless I've surfed to a site with a popup in it and then my Ad-Watch (which comes with Ad-Aware Plus) pops up and closes my IE. I have Ad-Watch set to stop popups like that.

If you mean to uninstall SpywareBlaster, uh, yes you can uninstall it through your Add/Remove Programs feature.

I am not sure I understand what you mean here. SpywareBlaster is not a browser....it is program that will protect you from all spy/foistware in it's database by blocking installation of their ActiveX objects.

Regards,

snap

6. Digimon

Digimon Registered Member

Thanks 4 the reply.
    I uninstalle dit before I realized what was going on with Internet Explorer.
    So, explorer is now locked in the mode.
    One thing I have not tried is re-installing 'Blaster and checking to see what comes up in the settings.
    I realize that 'Blaster isn't a browser, I was referring to Internet Explorer.
    Thnx again 4 the quick reply.

7. snapdragin

Hi Digimon,

I would give that a try then, re-download and install SpywareBlaster, then maybe check then UN-check the box beside "Disable the IE Home Page settings area in the Internet tools Control Panel". Then see if you have the ability to access changing your IE's Home page (remember, SpywareBlaster does not lock you out of IE's Control Panel under Tools, it just locks the Home Page). By any chance, are you using Spybot Search & Destroy? That does have the option for locking access to the Control Panel under Tools in IE.

Also, before you uninstall SpywareBlaster again, re-enable the Protection for bad ActiveX, then remove it's protection by choosing the "Deselect All" --> "Remove-Protection for Unchecked Items" --> then close SpywareBlaster.

Then uninstall it through the Add/Remove Programs feature in Windows.

snap

8. md

md Guest

if you run adaware 6.0 it will show this as a problem, after scanning with adaware it will fix or change the setting for you, this way you won't even have to try to figure which program is blocking your setting. Yes in spybot program there is a check box that will lock this, I did the checkbox but adaware told me doing so is not good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.