internet history

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by andrew, Dec 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andrew

andrew Guest

I have run all kinds of washer programs (Washee etc.) every now and then in order to get rid of cookies. I have also cleared the web site history and typed in URLs. Somehow, a couple of urls I have visited won't get cleaned off. Those pages are harmless - in other words nothing to be shamed of, but still it's interesting that I can't clean them off. I can't remember the exact urls but for example if the site was www.microsoft.com, whenever I begin typing www.michigan.com, IE shows also the www.microsoft.com in that funny list that opens right below the address bar. Clearing site history, cookies or temporary files won't help. Those urls just stay somewhere inside IE. Is there any way to erase them?

I'm sorry if this is difficult to understand but as I don't speak English as my first language and I use non-English IE I don't know the exact terms.

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi Andrew,

I have found on occasion that a URL will get stuck in the address bar's history, regardless of using most normal methods of erasing cache, history, auto-complete and other sources of previously visited URLs, it remains in place.

Take a look at this thread, which shows first about clearing auto-complete history, but also describes how I had to manually delete a bad "index.dat" file which held the reference regardless of any attempts to clear it via IE based commands and menu options.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=7670

Let us know if that helps,
    LowWaterMark

3. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Hi,
    Corrupted index file really seemed to be the problem. Now the ghost urls have disappeared :)

Thanks,

A

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Great, glad you were able to fix it! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.