internet explorer protection--sites listed in red

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by lsk, Aug 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lsk

lsk Registered Member

Under the "internet Explorer Protection" "Customize the Block List," a bunch of already-checked items come up. Then, there are literally hundreds of items in red that are not checked. What are all these things. Certainly, they are not sites I've visited. They are all of type "Active X." Most start with "Dialer." Many suggest they are adult websites. Can someone please enlighten me. I can't find anything in help, on the forums, or on the help pages. Thanks.

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hello lsk....Welcome to Wilders,

Just to be sure....in the ActiveX section where you can enable that protection....do you also have the IE Cookie protection checked :doubt:

If not....that's what the "literally hundreds of items in red" of un-checked items would possibly be representing.

Bubba

3. lsk

lsk Registered Member

HI. What is checked on the page is "prevent the installation of Active X...." and "prevent ad tracing/cookies"

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Please list the other Security\Privacy programs you have installed.

What type operating system is this on and if it is Windows 2000 or XP does this user have Administrative rights ?

While looking at Spywareblasters Status tab....what is the number of items Spywareblaster is reporting that have protection disabled next to Internet Explorer protection is enabled ?

If indeed that is still the case....what happens if you select the Internet Explorer tab and 1 un-check the ActiveX protection....then uncheck 2 Remove Protection for Unchecked items. Does the green progress indicator move smoothly left to right in about a second ?

If you then re-check the 1 ActiveX protection box and then select 3 Protect Against Checked items....does the green progress indicator move smoothly left to right in about a second ?

Also....if you then look at the Status tab....what is the number of items Spywareblaster is now reporting that have protection disabled next to Internet Explorer protection is enabled....0(zero) ?

If so....close Spywareblaster and then re-open Spywareblaster....is it still showing 0 items have protection disabled ?

Attached Files:

5. sb2922

sb2922 Registered Member

----------------------------------------------------------------
    Bubba, I am having problems similar to those of lsk.

Here is my system info:

Win98SE
    Dell Dimension 4100 desktop connecting via DSL
    McAfee Personal Firewall Express, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware SE Personal, McAfee Virus Scan, AOL 9.0 SE Safety and Security Center

Here are my specific symptoms:

Under the "Customize the Block List" box on the "Restricted Sites" tab, all but one of the 2629 item names are in red text (CoolWebSearch (50) at advert.exaccess.ru is in black text). Also, none of the entries except that black one were checked. (I do have the "Restrict the actions..." box at the top checked.)

I placed checks by all items, then clicked to "protect against checked items," but the checks disappear (except for the single entry in black, that one stays checked) and the red text remains. The "Status" tab still shows 2629 items have protection disabled. I have never had Webroot SpySweeper. I -do- have many, many sites listed in IE's restricted sites section; however, when I try to add either a "trusted site" or a "restricted site" there, I can't. I get the following error msg: "There was an unexpected error with your zone settings. Unable to add this site."

Any thoughts? Thanks! --Steve

Last edited: Aug 27, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.