Internet Explorer IE6

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by CloneRanger, Jun 10, 2017.

1. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Just for Lol's i fired up IE6 & went surfing the www to see what happened.

All HTTPS www's i tried failed to connect for some reason ? But ALL non secure www's i was able to view etc with NO problems. In fact it was a Very refreshing change from my usual FF browser. The fast speed at which the pages loaded, inspite of having several addons, was something i had forgotten about since i used it in the W98SE days, with NO issues or infections etc. I did/do have it very well locked down though.

When i went to dsl i got the possible phish warning, as shown,

1.png
    which blocked further access until i allowed it.

2.png

This was one of the addons that came with the Really great security App, DA.

Ahhh, those were the days !

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Is this a genuine question/are you surprised by this?

If so, IE6 doesn't support any of the modern ciphers used by websites today.

You can use the ssllabs test to see what website might still be supporting a cipher that works with IE6 here: https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/index.html (Look at the part that says "IE6 / XP" under handshake simulation)

Since all the ciphers IE6 supports are a security risk, you probably won't find much.

3. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Its very old and insecure.

People should be running an up to date browser.

I don't even run Internet Explorer 11 and that's the last IE Microsoft released.

4. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Running IE6 just for laughs and nostalgia.... :geek: Personally, I would find other things more amusing and fun to do, like sky dive off One World Trade Center, but hey, sometimes the mood just compels you.

5. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Well i just tried it once again to prove, IF, you lock it down correctly, there was Nothing unsafe with it, & there is still Nothing unsafe with it, & it's fast !

Today i visited a number of malware infected www's with it, & apart from some prompts to download .exe's etc, Nothing bad happened. I used to do this every day for a number of years back in the day, & over & over i proved my point.

6. boredog

boredog Registered Member

But it updates with each new Windows version. For example I am running Windows OS version 16199 and my current IE 11 build matches.

Attached Files:

7. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Why not, right?--just to take a look-see. Launching and loading pages are almost instant using IE11 and crashes are surprisingly infrequent (yeah, they do occur). Biggest drawback by far is not enough hardening available for the browser. Machine is locked anyway so in theory, if on a dare and if it was available, I'd sooner run IE6, than, say Firefox 40.0. Cross my palm with gelt first.

8. J_L

J_L Registered Member

IE6 speedy? Right... Maybe responsive on a clean system, but I highly doubt it loads pages faster than say Chrome or Edge.

9. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

That's a narrow way of looking at "safety". You're thinking of safety as preventing your PC being attacked, but you're not considering the safety of the data you're transmitting. There's nothing you can do to fix that, other than use a modern browser. No one is "safe" using IE6.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.