Internet Explorer 9 Security Discussion

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Fox Mulder, Oct 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fox Mulder

Fox Mulder Registered Member

Hi everyone. I know that IE8 and below are not considered very secure, but what about IE9? I've heard great things about it and I love the look & feel of it, but I'm wondering if Microsoft has made any appreciable gains in security.

I've seen the Microsoft "how secure is your browser" website, where they naturally rate their own product at 100%, but objectively, how secure is it compared to Firefox or Chrome, and what improvements have they made since IE8?

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

3. Dude111

Dude111 Registered Member

If you put your securty setting on IE6 to HIGH it is the same as IE9,there is nothing better about IE9.. (Its over bloated and ugly in my opinion... IE6 was the last GOOD VERSION of IE)

4. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

IE 8 is still an effective and generally safe Browser as all Windows XP users continue to use IE 8.

Secure the settings, allow only per-site cookie permissions and you should be good to go compared to the reception IE9 has had.

Note that IE9 will only run under Windows Vista and Windows Seven.

I cannot reach out to your queries on Moz and Chrome.

As to IE6, most websites no longer support this version.

5. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I hadn't laughed all day today, I needed that, thanks! :D

6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Oh let's ignore Protected Mode, ActiveX Filtering, Tracking Protection, InPrivate Browsing, ASLR, etc. Same as saying XP is as secure as Windows 7 64-bit.

:rolleyes: aside, there are few words (that I'm not going to bother using, being too obvious) to describe that statement.

7. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

LOL! :D :thumb:

I'm no expert whatsoever on browser security and which is most secure, although in this forum, at least, Chrome seems to get the nod, and FF with NS might be considered second or neck-n-neck with IE9, depending on the opinion you get. They can all be secure if configured properly; it just takes a bit of time and effort to do so. I feel confident in using IE9 with how I've got it configured.

8. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.