Internet Explorer 6.0

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by jrcotts, Mar 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrcotts

jrcotts Registered Member

Can anyone help me i'm wondereing what the Automatic prompting for active x controls is and if i should disable or enable it. of course i've got all other settings set to disable or prompt so i'm wondering if this is a good thing to automatically prompt or if Im reading it wrong.

P.S. Is there a good forum to go to to discuss all the internet options and what they are ?

Thank yOu

Jrcotts

2. Togg

Togg Registered Member

3. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

These IE settings are pretty good: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topict1628.html

In addition, click into Internet Options/Privacy Tab/Advanced and 'Block Third-party Cookies'.

Install SpywareBlaster for immunization. Consider a hosts file.

Hope this helps!

4. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Addition to your answer:

Explanation "What is the Hosts file" here

5. Alec

Alec Registered Member

In answer to this question specifically... "automatic prompting" simply refers to the little, yellow horizontal information bar that appears at the top of the browser window in the newer versions of IE. It's not especially intuitive given the description, but if you set "automatic prompting" to enable then you will not see the yellow bar appear to warn about the use of ActiveX. If it's set to disable, then you will see the yellow bar. To me, the yellow bar is of minimal value since whether "automatic prompting" is enabled or disabled, you will still see the "This ActiveX component has been signed by <Publisher>. Do you want to allow it?" [Paraphrased] dialog box prior to any ActiveX download. Likewise, for the "automatic prompting" selection for file downloads, you will still see the "Open, Save, or Cancel" dialog box whenever you attempt to download a file.

6. jrcotts

jrcotts Registered Member

Thank you alec and others that was very helpful and i will check out them other sites too

jrcott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.