internet connection sharing software

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by hossie, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hossie

hossie Registered Member

Hi guys ,

I wanted to know if there is any free internet connection sharing program . I am staying with the my freinds in a hostel and we have taken 1 broadband connection and we want share it. 1 Windows XP home and other windows proffessional. Any website from where we can download it and guide to implement it.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i dont think you need a program to implent the sharing,

if you want to share files > control panel > home networking (The house)

run it on both computers with the same settings you choose.

this will enable the sharing of files between the 2 computers,

if you want to share the internet connection, you need a router, no program will just 'give you this'

if you have a router, use the ports selected on the router (ie. 1 and 2) wireless or connected through a wire, it doesnt matter.

setup your router, usually let it do it automatically, the internet will run through the router, and whichever computers are connected to the router, will have internet access.

trying to make this sound as easy as possible, because it is, so good luck. :)

if you meant something else, i apologize and ignore this reply :D

3. hossie

hossie Registered Member

Thanks for your reply...

What I meant was that we have a 8 port switch . Main cord from ISPs end directly goes in Switch and all the other computers are connected to it as well. One of the computer is configured with the IP address given by the ISP and want to share the same IP in three different computers.

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

So the router has an 8 port switch built into it?

You'll have to check to see if the router is setup to be a dhcp server. If so just plug in your computers, run the windows network setup wizard an enable file and printer sharing. If you use a third party firewall you may need to configure that as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.